Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratching glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HALTON

Can you scratch glass trade way without you feeling it

Don't know if its the low sun but a lot of glass I have done a late seam scratched one way or another I have put a new applicator sleeve on but still seem to be finding scratches glass when trading ?

Thanks

tips of squeegee channels can scratch -aluminium ones more than steel .

but you've got to remember that long before you came along other windies have been washin those windows ,some careless, some using scrapers wrongly- don't YOU take the blame for them. you NEED to practice what youre goin to say IF someone accuses you out of the blue-have a script ready on tip of tongue cos youv practiced it-it needs to be a total and utter denial, no humming and aaahing, its needs to be "that's nothing to do with me " while making eye contact

I don't think it's a problem, but many years ago when I was new to the game I scratched a grass I a living room outside , cuz I pointed the applicator straight to remove a bird spot . Don't ever do that spite the have put a tougher material in the end to able to scrub. If you have any sand og dirt in it ,you're screwed ...it's a trap. :bangheadwall:

tips of squeegee channels can scratch -aluminium ones more than steel .
but you've got to remember that long before you came along other windies have been washin those windows ,some careless, some using scrapers wrongly- don't YOU take the blame for them. you NEED to practice what youre goin to say IF someone accuses you out of the blue-have a script ready on tip of tongue cos youv practiced it-it needs to be a total and utter denial, no humming and aaahing, its needs to be "that's nothing to do with me " while making eye contact
Couldn't be said more correct boar !

Don't think its tip of channel as rubber is bigger than channel by a few mil like I say new sleave unger could it be anything else I'm missing

Boracity what's your script

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure they are scratches? I ask because I thought I had caused some scratches only the other day, when the sun caught the glass at a certain angle i thought oh Shti! but when I looked really close it was just some minute spots of something that I had sort of smeared across the glass in really fine lines, they looked just like scratches. I gave them good old rub with the scrim and they disappeared.

I cut my rubber flush with the end of the channel and my channels have a 45° angle cut on the ends and i still can't scratch the glass with them unless i was to use the end like a scribe

As long as you are using your applicator and squeegees like they should be used you can't scratch the glass so any accusations meed to be followed up with jog on it is impossible for me to scratch the glass with these tools so find someone else to blame

this week i was asked to clean one of my long standing customers windows inside(new windows replaced).it was Tuesday i think.we had low sun on the back.on the outside they looked perfect,until i cleaned the insides OMG.you could see every mark,swirl,finger prints inside the glass,hair line scratches- everything.she was horrified.ive been in this game to long enough to know in low sun whether trad or wfp you will see bad results in low sun.

Sleeves on the t bar can cause scratching if you drop the t bar on the ground, it can pick up little stones you can't see or you got dirt inside the bucket belt where you carry it.

This is a new sleeve I have put on not dropped it on floorOh well only time will tell if I get complaints
You don't have to have dropped it on the floor, if you wash or wipe the sill with it, it can still pick up grit.

Sills get wiped with sill cloths not applicator probably not me.

Do you think all this wind and rain could have anything to do with this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
this week i was asked to clean one of my long standing customers windows inside(new windows replaced).it was Tuesday i think.we had low sun on the back.on the outside they looked perfect,until i cleaned the insides OMG.you could see every mark,swirl,finger prints inside the glass,hair line scratches- everything.she was horrified.ive been in this game to long enough to know in low sun whether trad or wfp you will see bad results in low sun.
Yep, you sure can see it all in rising or setting sun. The only time i can see the arches of where I've had the squeegee is early morning, I bend down, put my hand out in front of me to hide the sun, then look up the window......you can see the lines. I now just look at windows as a customer would. I've had no complaints yet.

The importance of keeping your tools clean can never be underestimated.

If you pulled up to the car wash and saw sponges etc on the floors you wouldnt stop to have your car done would you?

I only really notice scratches on single pane glass with wooden frames where some daft painter has used an electric sander on the frames and over run onto the glass.

In one new build estate as i pulled up I did have two owners walk upto me saying the builders had said it must be the window cleaner that had scratched the glass.

This was resolved when I asked which window cleaner as I had just arrived to do the first cleans. /emoticons/smile.png they decided to take it up with the builders again. /emoticons/smile.png)

I find my new builds have more straches on them than some of the older houses. Mind. I did a builders clean once and the Windows were fork lifted around and half the protective sheeting missing. Render covering everything. They whip these houses up nowadays. Use cheap fixtures and fittings.. I'd say most of it is scratched before the house is even built...

Back