New boy on the block... any help would be great!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by jezdingdong, Feb 2, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

?

Is there money to be made?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. jezdingdong

jezdingdong Guest

Hi everyone!
    Well i have decided to start out on my own (traditional window cleaning) :)
    I have been looking at this site over the last few weeks and you guys have some great tips and tricks....

So what im after is your best do's and dont's when your starting out on your own for the first time please?????

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Welcome, i have a couple of don'ts.

Don't under price just to get the work, very tempting but you will hate doing the job if yo do.
    Don't make excuses as to why you cant go out canvasing, its to cold, something good is on tv, i will do it tomorrow etc...

There is defo money and plenty of windows, you ill get out what you put in. ;)

3. jezdingdong

jezdingdong Guest

Cheers Gav,
    Would like to think im a worker!! in the Navy so used to working outside in the cold and wet lol so should not be a problem. just feel the need for a change as my home life has changed for the better.
    I have read that people charge about £1 per window, and yes i know that windows come in all shapes and sizes but id doesn't help when i drive to a house and they ask how much lol... i guess that all will come with time when you work out how long the job will take in relation to how much i want per hour!

4. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Yes it does come with time, i found pricing one of the hardest parts to get to grips with.

What i tend to do is price up using the per window method then once i have a price in my head decide how long it will take then come to a final figure i tend not to price per hour but in general once i have done above works out to be about £20 hour.

most standard windows i will charge £1
    bay windows and patio doors £2

Then it really depends at times if the windows and frames are really bad i will add a little, bit of a fine art but you will get there.

5. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

Gav's right, dont under value in the beginning, I started a few weeks ago and have just got my 20th customer. the first 10 came in a rush (the windy gave up in that area)

and I have 2 that I priced at 8 quid and a fiver for the front. Also remember to say its every 4 weeks (dont give them the option of 4 or 6 weeks)

All my customers where first cleans and they take F-en ages. Plus your still getting a system, I remember my first customer... I was exited and nervous... but now its just quote and go clean on the weekend...

6. Posh

Posh Hero

Good tips from the lads there. I must admit I did it different. I did get any work going as I thought if I do that customer it might lead to some others close by. It enabled me to at least be working while more jobs came in. My thinking was also that once I'd built it up them **** jobs that kept me going I could now put the price up and if they wer'nt happy with that I would just drop it. 90./. Were happy with increase. I also found 4 weeks was very came round very quick and a lot of custys were thinking going bi-monthly so gave them the option of 6 weeks. 4 cleans in 24 weeks is better then 3. There just my opinions and the way I did it. Def agree with the canvasing. Get out as much as poss whatever. Good luck.

7. not just canvassing, i never canvass always leaflets that works better for me, i disagree never allow them a 6 week option as when you get bigger you will be driving to areas for one house its nothing but a pain i offer 4 weeks if thats to often then its 8 as long as its a multiple of 4. not under pricing is key!!!!!!!! everyone does it and it makes life harder in the long run

8. James

James Guru

As long as you have a slight business head on you, there's plenty of money to be made.

Deffinately don't under price the work, you will feel like your wasting your time when you're doing it.

Just be confident with yourself and your abilities. You will be alrite in the end!

James.

9. simon

simon Guru

i always charge 1 1/2 for first clean, more if they really manky explain its a thorough clean of frames & glass. i offer monthly not 4 weekly i know its not much different but it doesnt sound as often so i dont get many 2 monthly
    canvass canvass canvass - stick fliers out if there no one in but always call back till you get to speak to some one

10. Posh

Posh Hero

90./' of my customers are now 5-6 weeks which suits them and suits me. By saying 5-6 weeks it gives you a bit of grace if you get behind coz of weather etc.

Advertisement