New from Chelmsford

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by deadeye, Mar 3, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. deadeye

deadeye Guest

Hi,

Came across this forum while researching into window cleaning. Have thought about this before, I always seem to get put off by family and friends.

I realise it has its difficulties compared to my cosy public sector job, which I am a nhs cleaner, with all its benefits and comforts. I also dislike my job for so many reasons. On balance I think if I can earn similar after all things considered, I would prefer to be self employed. I am used to working alone and managing my time in my current job. I appreciate the importance of service to the customer, it is like that in my job too.

Got a couple of questions, hoping someone can put me right. I saw a guy wheeling a small wfp about, and wondered if it possible to wheel it around without a vehicle. Is a vehical essential? How small does the pole fold down to?
    Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

Hi deadeye and welcome

Don't be put off by negative people steer clear of negativity the world is full of them and if you can't just don't listen to it, alot of people don't realise the benefits of window cleaning, good money ( if you work at it) your own hours and nobody to tell you what to do plus many more.

As for a vehicle I would say if you wanted to go WFP yes, a vehicle would be needed due to the amount of water you would go through also the need of a DI vessel it's all very heavy kit, however going trad a vehicle is not always needed if you have a compact round. And as for the compacted size of the pole I would say on average around 5ft ish I recon.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. mark m

mark m Hero

Hello

It would be hard without a van because of carrying pure water a average trolley holds 25 lts which would do approx 2 3 bed houses you could carry a di vessel and fill up again from a outside tap dont think that would look to good and it more to carry . Pole easy 4ft 9 in extend 22ft that would do you 95% of your work

4. deadeye

deadeye Guest

Thanks for your replies. I am starting to understand things a bit now.

So some people have a di system set up in there van and I guess some do it at home and carry the water in the van?

If I am right in thinking, I could do the di at home, if that is the case. Would it not be possible to find a way of carrying water, maybe a trailer on a cycle, bit weird I know, but I don't drive. I can't see how a trad would be easier on foot, the ladder is so heavy from my experience with ladders.

Thanks,

Deadeye

5. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

As above don't listen to negative comments many think window cleaning is not a real job and is small money.

I would say wfp needs a vehicle really but you may be able to use a trolly on a trailer. The thing is once you get more business you will find yourself having to go back to base to refill often.

Sent from Tapatalk. App for iPhone, Android and blackberry.

6. Paul

Paul Guest

Why not get sum driving lessons taken, if your really serious about this I would say you would need a van/ car in the end, but while you dont drive I would rather carry a ladder round than 50L of water.

As for the trailer I'm sure you could knock something up, there is a guy near me he has made a small trolly out of 2 mountain bike wheels and a home made frame, he uses it to carry his ladder and bucket seems to work he's pushed it round for 20 years anyway[hr]
    What about something like this https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/attachment.php?aid=54

7. James

James Guru

A big warm welcome!

James.

8. chip

chip Guru

hi. yep you need to drive really, or go in with someone who can.
    bear in mind you need to earn more than your paye as you don't get paid holidays or sickys.
    best thing about folk looking down on our trade is that a lot who set up only do so as an inbetweener, untill they get a 'proper' job. gives us relative security:)

9. deadeye

deadeye Guest

Okay thanks for all your advice and tips.

What about using wfp just for top windows and trad for bottom windows to save water?

10. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

In my honest opinion It would be to much fafing. If you wfp top you just as well do bottom. That's my opinion though. :D

Sent from Tapatalk. App for iPhone, Android and blackberry.

Advertisement