Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing...

rjacandwc

Hi! All... I'm a going into my 4th year now and I have a good customer base in my local town. I have just about managed a high percentage of my work on foot. I occasionally use me wife to run me about. I normally use three different sets of ladders covering different areas. I have around 300 customers and clean every 6 weeks (sometimes it will take me longer to get round in the winter). I was thinking about taking on my brothers brother-in-law. As he can drive. I can't due to an eye problem over distance... I know I can build the customer base more. because I have had lots of enquiries from the surrounding villages. But, I am unsure the best way to go about this.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

go for it. i now employ 3 fulltimers and am only in my 5th year in the business . iv not regretted employing , having said that it took me until this year to find 3 decent reliable workers , plenty of wasters you will find that out

Thanks Boarcity!... I guess the question I am trying to ask is. What has to be done with the HMRC etc. Do I set him up as a Sole Trader, Do I Put him on my Public Liability Insurance or Separate etc etc. What is the best way to go about it all having just one member of staff to start with???

u need to register with hmrc as an employer . theyll send u a disc

take on ur employee parttime to start and promise no more than parttime make that clear , then you can drum up extra work to fill the days more and go from there . get employee liability ins and public liability ,for a parttimer its not so much extra

Last edited:
Put them

Put them self employed. Seems the easiest way
How do I go about this Posh... Would I have to put a percentage of my work in his name etc... And can two Self Employed people work together. I might come across as daft. But, employment law is beyond my brains lol

Thanks Boarcity!... It is something I am thinking about at the start of the financial year. My sister-in-law is an Accountant and when I get a chance she will no doubt drum aload of talk into me. I was just wondering the best way to go about it all really. I feel now like I did 4 years ago when I "Took the Plunge" - Bloody nervous lol. I feel that I can build easy. But, I need to build at a nice rate. Just seems so much more complicated when reading about employing in comparison to being a Sole Trader. I suppose it is because I have never been in the situation. So, it all seems alittle daunting!. Thanks. for you thoughts!

As far as I know they work for you but pay there own tax & national insurance stamps. Bit like they sub contract off you. I know 2 people who do work for this 1 bloke & there both self employed & he just pays them. They don't do a set amount of hours & can buy there own equipment if they want to & don't do the work on thee own. They get no holiday or sickness pay & can do other work. So really there free agents as such.

go for it. i now employ 3 fulltimers and am only in my 5th year in the business . iv not regretted employing , having said that it took me until this year to find 3 decent reliable workers , plenty of wasters you will find that out
well done boarcity are the guys classed as self employed. I find that the problem, employing some one good and reliable

I could imagine one of the hardest parts about employing someone would be that they realise the cut you are taking, and then decide to cut you out and go it alone. But its nice to hear when it does work out for someone. I was chatting to a windy the other day that said his 'empoyee' decided to try and steal his customers. Not likely if you pick someone with a bit of respect, but is something to be mindful of perhaps by keeping in touch with the customer so they associate you as the main man.

my workers are on the books as employed by me. ive learned thru trial and error the type of person who it doesnt pay to have on board, been thru about 10 ,some terrible liars/lazy-itis/ stroke pullers , best to get rid as early as you can if you sense any trouble- dont wait till you get stung. if they lie about Anything in the first few days let them go gently

touch wood ,iv a very honest lot working for me at the mo.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back