Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Knackered Bath Tap

Tuffers

I've sheared the top off it. It's a single hole with 2 copper pipes going into it. On the copper pipes are those slotted on/off valves. Now if I turn them off and undo the nuts holding the copper pipe and pull the tap assembly up out of the hole, will I be able to use the copper pipe again or will I need new pipe. Also, do I just wrap gas tape/PTFE tape round the thread? I'm thinking @TolishAPurd may be able to help.

I've sheared the top off it. It's a single hole with 2 copper pipes going into it. On the copper pipes are those slotted on/off valves. Now if I turn them off and undo the nuts holding the copper pipe and pull the tap assembly up out of the hole, will I be able to use the copper pipe again or will I need new pipe. Also, do I just wrap gas tape/PTFE tape round the thread? I'm thinking @TolishAPurd may be able to help.
Can you get a pic of it mate?

From what I think you are saying, you just need a couple of tap tails. You can take the existing tails to the plumbers merchant and they'll size them and sell you some new ones.

I see. Those buts going from the stut off valves to the taps are the tails. Leave the valves shut off like they are and undo the top top compression nut. This will allow you to remove the tails. If you look in between the two tails at the tap there may be a nut there which is basically what holds the tap in place. You'll probably need 'box spanners' for this, but they are cheap. Once its all off you are best off buying new tap tails to match the new tap anyway as they are cheap too.

The pipes should be seperate from the tap

If not most taps nowadays come with braided tails as tolish called them which would be attached to the on off valves you can see in the pic insteadof the pipes

It goes without sayin that you better turn off the stop ****, and your hot water (red handle near boiler).

Just don't kink them..i had to sort one a mate had kinked severely and subsequently burst at the weak point created where the kink was

Great fun laying under the soaking wet bath to fix it

Sorry for slow reply, im just outside in the garden camping with the lad for the first time./emoticons/smile.png

It'll all make sense when you buy the tap n the other gear mate. Go to a proper plumbing place too as they're good for advice too.

if you want to use the jg push fittings just cut the pipe in situ above the compression joints with a pipe cutter clean up the ends and push em on...

ya should see my bath taps...:eek:

the lad is not impressed that I wont fix the cold one as I dont use it but he likes a bath and wants it...he also wants a wider gate for his bike on the side...a plastic roof cover to park his bike under...the list is endless...bloomin kids..

oh I hate plumbing..good luck tuffers /emoticons/biggrin.png

i'v got a tap handle that spins and spins when ya try to turn off

so sort of push it wile spinning it round and round eventually stops running

like a record baby

like this for a wile

Hi, I would undo the 2 top compression nuts pull the complete tap and copper pipes out from above and take it down to your local plumbing merchants and they will explain exactly what u need and how to do it. Best of luck matey.

Back