Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New HF5 4040 Membrane

Matty H

Has anybody ever replaced theirs? I replaced mine at the weekend as it was 4 years old and the readings were creeping up weekly and had to keep flushing it but didn't make any difference...

So, in goes my new one and the readings are high 25 - 30 /emoticons/sad.png

Somebody said it takes a couple of weeks to get the readings down due to an antibacterial agent they put on in manufacture?

I have flushed it twice - and yes it is in correctly with brine seal right way, etc....

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

It shouldn't be that high to start with, and those are myths about it taking weeks to settle in, a few hours maybe, but not weeks.

What is your resin like?

James.

Resin is irrelevant James, as I have an ionics system, that is the reading after RO into the tank. I was easily getting 8 on my last membrane before it started creeping up. resin obviously bringing it down to 0. faulty membrane perhaps?

Ahh yes I see, umm perhaps a faulty membrane. But it's very rare you get one of these.

What's the pressue your pushing the water through at? Also do you use a booster pump?

James.

I have 55psi no booster pump - nothing else has changed on the set up just membrane. I will leave it for a week to see if the readings come down perhaps

Thats a good idea, if it doesn't come down I would suggest looking at a booster pump. I ran mine at 55-60 psi but my ppm readings were still over 15..

I bought in a booster pump as my window cleaning friend said my concentrated pressure wasn't high enough and the booster pump brought my readings down to 0ppm.

James.

We changed one a while back - took 3 or 4 days to come down - using 1000 litres per day.

Would bear with it for a bit.

Hi Hinty

Thanks for the advice I'm on my 2nd 600ltr tank fill now as we speak and I'm getting 28ppm - will see what happens within the next week. Running that through the resin is going to use it up quickly though so will only bear with it for a week then contact supplier to see what they think!!! Matt

Hi Matty,

Had a thought -

If you disconnect the pipe between the pre filters and the R.O. and take the TDS reading,

then take the TDS reading of the waste water, and the TDS of the product water.

Then add the Waste & product TDS readings together, and subtract the input TDS, then it will tell you how much is coming from the filter itself - which should decrease quite quickly.

Hope that makes sense.

The new membrane is back out and old one back in - readings were rising - phoned supplier faulty membrane

Ok lads listen to this; the supplier is telling me that a new membrane has to be flushed for 24 hours to remove all antibacterial process put on during manufacture???? Are they trying to fob me off here? That's seems a ridiculous amount of time to flush and as I'm on a meter would cost a bit of money in water. if I do it and still doesn't work I won't be very pleased

I am surprised it's 24 hours.

You could still use the water - but it will take a bit out of your resin.

Would normally fit as usual, then discard the product water for an hour, then reconnect the resin.

It would be good to hear how it works out for you.

Ok lads listen to this; the supplier is telling me that a new membrane has to be flushed for 24 hours to remove all antibacterial process put on during manufacture???? Are they trying to fob me off here? That's seems a ridiculous amount of time to flush and as I'm on a meter would cost a bit of money in water. if I do it and still doesn't work I won't be very pleased
Sounds a bit dodgey to me mate, I don't think they are telling you the truth there some how.

James.

Spoke to them today and they say flush for 7 hours. Will try it and see
Im skeptical about this. post the results afterwards mate.

James.
It's on flush now since 5pm going to switch off and fill tomorrow. If it ain't good readings I'll be asking for my money back including water usage :-(

Latest Posts

Back