Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure washer losing pressure

DCCleaner

Evening folks,

I have a pressure washer with what looks like a fairly expensive pump on it, it sucks water from the barrell if this means anything...and whilst using it today after stopping for a brew it had no pressure at first then gradually got back up to full, it ran fine until it was stopped then restarting, showing the same symptoms ie lack of power at the nozzle, the engine was running fine all throughout this ?

The frame has Alto direct drive on it and its powered by a Honda 5.5 hp.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Were you sucking the water from the barrel?

I had an older machine that lacked power till I discovered the customers tap pressure was not enough to run my machine properly.

If you have a local hire store they normally have a service center also could be worth sticking your nose in and asking.

Yes water was from the barrel mate, it's relatively new to me this machine so It probably had the problem when I bought it.

I'm guessing you bought it used?

If new you'll have at least 12 months parts and labor warranty and if that's not enough you can fire the 'goods and services act' at them as they have sold you a machine not fit for purpose.

How long does it lose pressure for? Might just be that it's taking a while to suck up the water again after stopping it, it can can take a little while to get the water back through the pump

does it have 2 pipes that go to the barrel or just one? If it only has one then when you release the trigger there is a fixed amount of water left in the pump which re-circulates,.. but after 3 or 4 minutes because no fresh water is flowing in it can boil & evaporate leaving the pump airlocked & damaging the seals. Did you leave it running while you had your brew?

How long does it lose pressure for? Might just be that it's taking a while to suck up the water again after stopping it, it can can take a little while to get the water back through the pump
Roughly 3 or 4 minutes at a guess mate.

does it have 2 pipes that go to the barrel or just one? If it only has one then when you release the trigger there is a fixed amount of water left in the pump which re-circulates,.. but after 3 or 4 minutes because no fresh water is flowing in it can boil & evaporate leaving the pump airlocked & damaging the seals. Did you leave it running while you had your brew?
It has just the one pipe to the barrel. it wasn't left running either time.

Do they need primed or is there some method to use when starting them up ?

Thanks for the reply

Ah ok, so it doesn't return to tank with a second hose,

I think what you need to try is when turning it off, hold the lance trigger on, to let all the water drain out, then when you re start the machine, hold the trigger on again as you pull the chord, see if that helps...

To prime the pump:

1: remove any detachable spray nozzle if your lance allows this and squeeze the trigger so the water can flow through unimpeded

2: start the engine, but keep the revs LOW until the water is flowing in a steady stream

3: once the water is flowing stead, rev the engine up, release the trigger, pop your nozzle back in & get to work. /emoticons/smile.png

Back