Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

reliable chris

Ok chaps, with risk of boring u all to death with me setting up my new van, I think this is my last problem that I need to resolve.

my last van got so wet inside, sometimes I had to swill out water from the foot wells.

I've sorted all my leaks, but the one prob I can't seem to get over is that water spills out the water tank lid as I drive.

I have a 400 litre upright tank which is baffled.

I have tried driving carefully round corners and even not filling the tank to within 3 inches from top, but it still seems to escape.

has anyone else had this?

any ideas!!?

Your lid should have a big rubber seal on it as @Andy mentioned so it should not leak at all if screwed on properly.

I've even got an extra 450 layflat tank turned on it side in the van I fill just below the lid and that never leaks either.

Easily solved, you need to wrap approx one to two full rolls of PTFE tape around the threads of the lid. Most upright tanks have external lids so you would wrap the threads on the tank itself. Most flat tanks have internal lids so with these you wrap the threads on the actual lid. You MUST however wrap the tape in the same direction as it will be screwed on/in to. Both Wydale tanks I've had (400 flat & 500 cube) have both leaked without PTFE & both were totally cured this way. One thing that renders this useless though is if you have to then remove the lid to fill each day. I fit a male Hozelock filler to my tanks coupled to a mini Torbeck float valve on the inside to prevent overfill.

Next up. If you do have to remove your lid to fill then you can put a plastic carrier bag over the tank hole & screw the lid in/on to this. I've used this trick in the past but bear in mind your tank still requires to be vented to allow water to exit, depending on how yours in vented will depend on how you vent through the bag.

Your lid should have a big rubber seal on it as @Andy mentioned so it should not leak at all if screwed on properly.
I've even got an extra 450 layflat tank turned on it side in the van I fill just below the lid and that never leaks either.
Both my tanks still leaked with the rubber seal Smurf. In fact I tried two rubber seals together & it still leaked!!:eek:

Thanks

no rubber seal smurf, I did wonder if that was the prob but then I struggled to think where I could get one the exact size I need.

I do have to remove lid every day to fill winproclean but I like the idea of the carrier bag, I will try it out tomoz..

cheers

Thanksno rubber seal smurf, I did wonder if that was the prob but then I struggled to think where I could get one the exact size I need.

I do have to remove lid every day to fill winproclean but I like the idea of the carrier bag, I will try it out tomoz..

cheers
Just flatten it out over the hole & screw the lid in/on to it./emoticons/wink.png

I once ordered some of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-O-RING-CORD-NITRILE-RUBBER-SOLD-PER-METRE-VARIOUS-DIAMETERS-AVAILABLE-/121060637076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c2fc6b994

I think it was the 4mm diamt, but I will check tomorrow. I cut it slightly bigger than needed and forced the ends in tight. I didn't glue them together, but this could be an option.

Of course Wydale (if that's your tank) will have a replacement but I think that they now want to sell the lid and seal as an assembly, which was about £8 + VAT and delivery if memory serves me right.

My SIL's tank leaks. I swopped over a tank lid from my sons van that doesn't leak and his lid still leaked. He just wraps a towel round it but it would drive me nuts.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My mate frank can also see another advantage having that tank on the roof like that....He can stand on top of it when his pole is a wee bit short /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back