Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Microbore Hose Contaminating Water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello all.

TL;DR Brand new hose reel is contaminating water and I don't know why. Need help!

Got a weird one. I brought 100mm of Microbore hose from WCW (https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/microbore-hose-100m.html) for use in my new van setup. However, it's contaminating my water and putting the TDS up. 

I've managed to isolate it as the Microbore hose by doing the following:

Took readings out of Resin bottle - 0ppm.

Water as it reaches the reel - 0ppm.

Water coming out the real connection without Hose connected - 0ppm.

Water coming out of Microbore itself - minimum 6ppm up to 15ppm. 

I even hooked my pole up to my backpack to eliminate the pole hose, which I confirmed was fine (It was at 1ppm but that's because water in backpack was at 1ppm). 

The weird part, I ran it for a while and it dropped from 15ppm down to 6ppm. I then had to go out, so took the van and the system was off for about five hours. When I got home I tried it again and it was back up at 15ppm! It does drop but only got it down to 7ppm. I cleaned my own windows (gonna be spotty!) to pass the time and was still 7ppm. 

All in all it was running with pure water through it for over a hour and this didn't clear it. No idea what could cause this, it is brand new. The only parts I couldn't isolate to test were the Microbore to Hozelock Hose End convertor and female hose tail coupling as I had obviously installed these on the microbore hose. Everything else was eliminated. 

Has anyone had this before or heard of it? My mind is fried! WCD don't open till Monday and I need to work. I'll use my backup trolly, but need to get this fixed!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm sure there was a post from someone else about the same issue. His cleared up.

It could be contamination caused during the manufacturing process.

I can only suggest you try to clean your own lounge window tomorrow and check the results after the window has dried. If there is an issue then you need to contact the supplier.

Pure water left in the hose should help to remove any contamination so I would let the water run through it for a while first to 'flush' it out.

We had a similar issue several years ago , we always flush each hose reel through for a coupleof muinets first thing in the morning now to get rid of any stale water , once it’s flushed through you should be ok for the day , I think it’s to do with the chemicals in the plastic some hose brands are worse than others for this : would be an Intresting one for Alex or Oliver to answer 

I'm sure there was a post from someone else about the same issue. His cleared up.

It could be contamination caused during the manufacturing process.

I can only suggest you try to clean your own lounge window tomorrow and check the results after the window has dried. If there is an issue then you need to contact the supplier.

Pure water left in the hose should help to remove any contamination so I would let the water run through it for a while first to 'flush' it out.

We had a similar issue several years ago , we always flush each hose reel through for a coupleof muinets first thing in the morning now to get rid of any stale water , once it’s flushed through you should be ok for the day , I think it’s to do with the chemicals in the plastic some hose brands are worse than others for this : would be an Intresting one for Alex or Oliver to answer 
Thanks guys. Glad it's not just me, however, like I said, had it running for over a hour and was still at least 7ppm!

ive got this hose its new so ill do some tests tomorow ive found the hose not the best ive gota say bit tangly and im geting bubbles on some windows in the morning im now consurned watching this post ill report back asap

Water up to 20ppm does not leave spots. Should be no worries with 15ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Theres a lot more to it than not leaving marks the closer to 000 the water is the more aggressive it is at desolving dirt so the cleaning process will be slower , it’s very Intresting to see how people’s attitudes differ to water quality and what they are prepared to use to clean there customers widows with , I think this is why certain company’s are snowed under with work as so many use inferior water quality and it does make a difference to the finished job 

Water up to 20ppm does not leave spots. Should be no worries with 15ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Theres a lot more to it than not leaving marks the closer to 000 the water is the more aggressive it is at desolving dirt so the cleaning process will be slower , it’s very Intresting to see how people’s attitudes differ to water quality and what they are prepared to use to clean there customers widows with , I think this is why certain company’s are snowed under with work as so many use inferior water quality and it does make a difference to the finished job 

ps not had any spotting as far as i no

See, I’ve seen people saying up to 10ppm or so is fine, but a few months ago I used water at 10ppm and got complaints of spots. Only complaint I’ve ever had. So I’d rather stick to 0ppm. Like I said, I have a backup trolly. I’ll use that until I get this fixed. Though it is annoying. I can’t use my new toy.  :1f61e:

to be honist i thault it was some custmers cleaning serton windows there self as it was very ramdom to see them but they dissapear 

This happened to me last time I got a new hose.

The water that sat in the hose overnight needing flushing through every morning for months... It made the windows look bubbly and the TDS was up. It became habit to start the pump a few mins before needed and eventually it stopped doing it. I think I made a thread on here about it [emoji3]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

This happened to me last time I got a new hose.

The water that sat in the hose overnight needing flushing through every morning for months... It made the windows look bubbly and the TDS was up. It became habit to start the pump a few mins before needed and eventually it stopped doing it. I think I made a thread on here about it
emoji3.png

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ok, so that explains why it crept up after I had left it for a few hours. But like I said, it has never dropped below 6ppm. Though maybe the checmials it picks up are no problem and don’t leave any marks. I’ll call WCW first thing tomorrow and they may say it’s normal. Hopefully, cause I’ve got a lot this week, lol!

Find it annoying they're still selling them. Were they a pain to deal with? I need to get one ASAP, it's already gonna slow me down on what is to be a busy week!
I got a replacement within a couple of days without any problems. They claimed they had sent another one out the next day but it never arrived for a couple of days so I got a refund and drove to gardiner to collect one. 

Without any doubt 000ppm is what we all want to work with. However the levels you guys are talking about 6ppm etc as long as you are using good technique and rinsing well really should be fine. 

Back