New starter - what is your first action to get things going and custys in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by Scottie, Sep 7, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Scottie

Scottie Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Another question if I may. Hope everyone is well that comes on here.

Well, with help form a few members on here I am virtually ready to kick start my business now as a window cleaner. I have designed my flyers and business cards, found the equipment I need and have a check list of all the things I need to do, but, MONEY, where I left my hell of a job I am low on money and yes it is my thorn in the side at present. So anoying I just want to move on and start.

Anyway, I have everything in place, I have not actioned a thing yet, but want to know what would you advise I do first and so on as I will kick it all off once I get some advice here, if I do get any lol. What order did you do things? did you just advertise and knock doors? or did you have equipment also ready etc...

Do I just go out and flyer and knock doors?
    Do I need my web site built up or after?
    Do I buy equipment now or when I get custys?

I hope you guys can help, as I dont want to spend loads £££ and I get no custys. I am just stuck at present on what to do and thought I would ask you all.

Thank you in advance and well I would not be at this point now if not for this forum so thanks again.

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

If you haven't got any tools yet, have you even cleaned a window? Because if not, then you are going to have to train yourself up on your own house yet, before you let yourself loose on the customers.

After that I would get a load of your flyers and cards printed and spend hours every day walking the streets dropping them in. If you are confident to canvass then go for that as that really brings people in.

Advertise in a few places. And put up flyers anywhere you can find a spot.

Spend your evening getting good on the squeegee, and make sure you practice on your ladder, as that's a whole new experience. Practice on windows of different sizes and shapes, and don't forget to do a little pole work from awkward angles to simulate above conservatories and porches.

Its all going to happen at once mate, but this is an active job, so if you can build up your fitness walking, and squeegeeing before you start for real, you'll look a lot more professional when you get out there.

Good luck matey.

3. norm

norm Grand Master

yeah practice and practice more on your own windows until ya confidence and skill grow
    you will be slow but thats ok speed will come with experience
    everything Tolish said

4. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

the guys have covered everything , your ladders plenty of practice, dont just put the flyers through the door if you can talk to the
    folk and sell yourself more chance of success
    if you have drive work hard there will be no problem you will get work

5. andy w

andy w Well-Known Member

Practice on your house and close relatives houses and friends, tell them you are starting and get them on board as paying customers, I started with 4 customers on April the 14th this year now I have 110 customers, this was all done by flyering and word of mouth! I now find that I am getting at least 5 customers a week by people approaching me or phoning me, above all be friendly polite and honest and do a good job!
    Good luck matey it will happen, any spare time get out there talking to people and networking, be positive about your business!
    All the best!

6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#6 boarcity, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
    get cracking on - dont delay - if youve quit your job then get that ladder and squeegee etc with no delay. dont fret about websites and flyers until you are sure that this job is to your liking.

if you havent got enough money for a ladder then beg ,borrow or steal one [temporary loan] , you need to be up it on day 1 ,somewhere

7. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

First thing to do is a plan; spend as much time as you need preparing this, it only requires a small amount of money to do a detailed plan, setting up and operating a business in year 1, will cost you two hundred times more than the cost of the plan.

The chance of you not getting any customers is not likely to happen, the opposite will happen and as soon as you start to offer a window cleaning service, you will find yourself working, so you do need some equipment.

You don’t need a website; you will need a flyer or business card for when you go door knocking, some customers need more time to make a decision, so you will need to give them something.

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Get some ladders and tools..knock on doors and as soon as you get a yes say "I'll do em now while I'm here.
    Kerching money coming in while looking for more

9. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

dont panic about weather you will get enough work, you will it will come fast .be organised note pad prices etc
    as davey said if they want your service do the work straught away

10. cheapncheerful

another quick way to set up is to get your local paper to drop your leaflets for you...it isnt cheap but it will cover a large area...its the only way i have canvassed as once you get a couple of jobs usually ..people spot you and you are off..any way good luck..and you will soon be cursing like me cause....you cant get any time off....:D

Advertisement