New to forum and slowly setting up new business

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by DansWindowCleaning, Nov 2, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. DansWindowCleaning

Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Dan (obviously).
    I've worked for a few local firms in the past window cleaning, but never felt like I was treated like a human, more like a money making labour machine to line the bosses pocket, so I've decided to go solo.
    I'm starting off traditional with the aim of including Waterfed later on.
    I have almost all my essentials apart from a large ladder and a roof rack, I do have a very smart ladder that can reach first floor and fits nicely in my boot when packed, very strong ally and large patterned rubber feet which is great... But really restricts what I can do height wise at the moment.

I was hoping for a little advice/encouragement for the canvassing, the idea of it is already daunting.
    What pitch do you use? What's generally the first thing you say when they answer? And also, do I dress fairly smart, or just stick my work gear on? Keeping in mind i DONT have any logo clothing as of yet.

Any help would be great guys, I've seen some of the success stories on here and I really just want to get out there and do it, I'm just struggling with my mental block towards canvassing.

Cheers in advance :thumbs:

Advertisement
  2. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Hi Dan and welcome
    Wear smart jeans or trousers and a shirt
    My pitch is different all the time as i just wing it
    Sometimes it is a basic "do you need a window cleaner"
    Or "expanding my area and got some round here do you want me to add you to my round"

3. DansWindowCleaning

Jeans and shirt it is.

So mostly it's more of a gut feeling at the door than having a stick-to-script.
    I have a lot opposite to where I live that obviously don't have one, classic signs mostly green frames/sills.
    Would it be worth mentioning that they are visibly dirty or would that just offend most people?
    I don't know how I'd feel some randomer telling me my home looks dirty from outside lol

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

heya dan. my opinion, look the part of a street worker,Especially if you are working on the big council estates [majority of my rounds on these ] . wear beaten up trainers and mismatched trackies .

smile the moment they answer the door and keep smiling[not easy] even if they say theyre not intrested- i find at that point ,as theyre closing the door ,get in quickly with "hav u any family might want them doing?" , this gets them thinking and often they say "mum/dad/aunty shelly might.... i can call her if u want" - this gets you a leg up , no end of time thats worked for me

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I wear jeans and a polo with logo embroidered on it
    Has my phone no across the back
    They only cost me 11 pound each and well worth getting a couple
    Looks professional

I never say how dirty the windows are i just pop the question and then tell them what i will do and what a professional service they will get

Then tell em how much once they see how much of a thorough job you will be doing

They love it when you tell em you do the frames sills etc

6. Natty1972

Natty1972 Forum Addict

Hi dan , welcome to the big party , sorry. Can't help with canvassing , I'm lazy , I let my custies spread the word , might be slower but I'm getting there ......

7. Shiny

Shiny Forum Addict

Hi Dan, welcome to the best forum around. Plenty of good advice on here for you mate, all I would say is when pricing one of my favourite quotes is "Quality lingers, where price is forgotten " get the quality right and customers will recommend you to others...

8. DansWindowCleaning

Wow thanks guys, wasn't expecting this any replies, especially straight away!

I have been looking at polos, but haven't come across a site where the total for ONE shirt doesn't come under £20 after Vat and delivery.
    It's my biggest set back really, I've done door to door calling before for a meter reading company, but I had i.d/uniform/handheld etc and I felt comfortable then as from face value they knew who I was and why I was there.
    So I think I'll keep hunting for a decent price for polo's daveyboy, does seem the way forward.

I have a load of leaflets and cards already, but Im not planning to rely on them at all. The leaflets will be left face to face or with a quote on the back if no one is in, and the cards for.. Well.... It's nice to have them lol.

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I give cards to custys to pass on..they are usually more than happy to and usually when i ask they say "oh my mate so and so might be interested I'll pop one in to her"etc
    It does seem to work

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Remember Dan whatever you spend on polos mr taxman will take off your bill in january

Advertisement