Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Inline tds meter

keir

I could do with a second tds meter, one for in the garage when filling the ibc and one for when out and about.

I've got a HM digital AP-1, but for a similar price i can get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HM-Digital-DM-1-Dual-Inline-TDS-Meter-Reverse-Osmosis-TDS-Meter-Genuine-DM1-/291028492670?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item43c2a6617e

Can someone with an inline let me know how they are attached inline? Ii only ask because from my shurflo to my DI i have blue garden hose size pipe then from the out of my DI its the same, whereas this uses 1/4 inch connectors

I bought the DM-2 unit on this page.

http://www.daqua.co.uk/inlinetdsmeters.htm

I was interested in the TDS out of the membrane and the TDS out of the Di vessel. I already have a good idea what the tap water tds is and this can easily be tested with my handheld meter.

So I ordered the unit with 1/2" fittings.

I also ordered a couple of these packs from Daqua

http://www.daqua.co.uk/johnguest.htm

JG 1/2" OD ST.PIPE X 1/2" Hosetail

I have my Di vessel after the r/o and before the pure goes to my IBC tank. Now I can see at the press of a button what my r/o is doing and so can tweak the waste gate valve to obtain the best output tds. Press the other button and I can see the output after its been through the di.

It works great.

I also bought a bottle of tester fluid and adjusted my handheld tester. After that I checked the output of the r/o by using the handheld unit collecting some of the produced water in a container. The tds recorded was identical to the inline reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one spruce, I'll ring phil at vyair tomorrow as they sell the same one at the same price with free postage.

No point taking a chance on ebay, i always prefer talking to someone before buying so i know i'm getting the right bits.

I start my trailer upgrade this weekend and this would be a really nice touch

I got a similar one with same connectors & I just bought 1m RO tubing & 4 each of RO> Hoselock adapters + standard garden hose connectors.

Spoke to vyair this morning, i need 13mm (1/2") connectors which don't come with the meter, but they do supply them.

Spruce thats similar to what i wanna do, at the moment i check the water coming out of my RO into the ibc with a hand held tds, which is 000.

I then check the tds after i have pumped the water into my tank in the trailer, again with a hand held meter.

But what i'm nervous of is the water then goes through the pump, through a di and up the pole, and i dont check the water after the di, it was brand new resin the other month and because i'm passing 000 through it i have no idea how long it will last, does it ever go off?

What i do sometimes is if i run out of water i connect a custies hose to my di and put 100 ltrs or so back in then reconnect it all, so the resin will be working then.

So i would put one probe before the di and one after, and they should both read 000 all the time apart from when i top up when out and about, it should read about 010 before di then 000 after

Another question.......when i press the button and it switches on, will water have to be passing through it i.e turn on aquadapter or will it just read the water in the hose at that time?.

The water has to be flowing through it at the time. The moment you switch is on it will start to measure what the TDS of the water is at the sensors but will change when the water starts to flow.

It also has to be switched on to work. It will stay on for a while (I forget the length of time) and then it will switch off automatically if you don't manually switch it off. So it doesn't monitor the water quality until you want it to.

The digital water meter I'm testing at the moment automatically activates the dial display when the water starts to flow and only switches off when the water stops.

I had a trailer before I went to a van mount.

The tanks were open to the elements (3 x 125 litre tanks) so I had regularly clean then out, more so it the summer (usually once a week on Sunday) as they turned green inside very quickly.

It didn't affect the TDS of the water though as alge isn't a dissolved solid.

I can see your reasoning behind having the di vessel onboard. In the days of my trailer the water in our area had a tds of around 255, so topping up at a customer's tap wasn't an option.

Things have come a long was since those trailer days. Water management is much easier with carbon fibre poles, light brushes and digital flow controllers. We have also found that using an Aquadaptor to switch the flow off as soon as we have washed and rinsed the window has saved us a lot of water.

Back