New To This...

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by tdw, Jan 31, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. tdw

tdw Newcomer

Hi
    Just registered. I have been thinking for a while to try something new. I was thinking of canvassing my local area but only bungalows or shops that wouldnt require ladders.
    If I didnt intend on using ladder would you still have to get public liability insurance?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Yes mate best to, things can still get broken and you can still get hurt with your feet on the ground, especially if you're as clumsy as me.

And welcome to the forum mate, don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for.

3. tdw

tdw Newcomer

Thanks thats a great help. Any advise/important things to know would be appreciated.

At the moment I work part time in Office Administration & never cleaned a window in my life so couldnt be further out of my comfort zone.

4. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

5. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Lads will have loads of answers to that but me, I'd suggest getting some trad gear and practising before you get going. Learn the fan/S method with a squeegee and practise a lot on your own place, it's not as easy as it looks.

If ladders bother you I would possibly go down the water fed pole route which needn't be too expensive to start.

6. tdw

tdw Newcomer

I dont mind ladders so much just havent got means to transport them. Got a Astra so thinking would be easier to go Traditional.

This is great forum.. started to have a look around & lots of info.

Bit worried about about treading on people toes, if it ever gets that far. Do you always have set price for all houses or do you have to factor in customers, ie OPAs etc

7. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Roof rack on astra and thats sorted mate, wfp a backpack, Pole (diy harris is cheapest) and 25l containers would do the job but obviously more expensive than starting out trad.

8. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

I thought the same when I started, wont need a ladder but its the first thing you need with a squeegee and a bucket.

I am going to get a retractable ladder in the next few months and leave my ladder at home as i only use it a few days a month. Thats because I use a waterfed pole system.

9. Doo

Doo Well-Known Member

Hi mate welcome to the forum.

I have an 2007 Astra roof bars from Halfords with adaptor £106 ladder trade with safety feet £110 plus roof bar ladder ties £12 ...£122 delivered

All the other stuff I got from soap national bucket on belt,squeegees, t-bar , pouches, scrims...ect

Stephen

10. stevelewis

stevelewis Forum Addict

I had an astra when i first started mate!
    When you price jobs up bud the general rule is, (well this is how i price anyway) :
    £1 standard window
    £1.50-£2.00 georgian pane (windows with multiple sections in)
    £1.50-£2.00 patio doors
    Between £5-£10 conservatory (depending on how big it is) And if u have a house with leaded windows add £1 for larger window and 50p for smaller ones.

Hope thats gave u a guide mate! good luck! :)

Advertisement