Newbie Intro; This has to work...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Max, Oct 14, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Max

Max Member

Hi
    Window cleaning is kind of in the blood as my father did it for 36 years and I grew up with the smell of boiling scrim from the kitchen and spent teenage summer hols doing the rounds, he gave me a pointer, showed me how to use a squeegee and away I went doing the bottoms while he did the ladder work. I wanted to make my fame and fortune though but the road to success stalled in 2nd gear so I've spent 20 years in retail and sold furniture until I was made redundant in Jan. I run a small market stall but some days struggle to sell enough to pay the pitch fee let alone the bills.
    In August I used my old brass squeegee and did my windows and I thought if I'm happy to do my windows would I be happy to do other people's and get paid for it. the answer was yes and here I am.
    I'm planning to trad bottoms with tops wfp. I have made a shortlist of trad gear from the info on this forum and will have a go at building a trolley system and get maybe 27ft pole with 4ft ext.
    Luckily I drive past a window cleaning supply shop twice a week and can buy water from there as this area is hard water and will cut some of the start up costs. I have a citroen Berlingo small van so I guess it might pay me to get a tank in it once I have more than a few customers. Not sure if it is wise to start in mid winter though as got to get rid of all my stock first so it will be xmas by then.
    I am looking for this to be my main job and it's got to work cos I'm down to my last 2k of redundancy money and although I used a squeegee a long time ago I know I have a lot to learn with trad let alone wfp.
    I hope I have not sent you all to sleep, I'm finding great advice on this forum.
    Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Simply Business

Simply Business Well-Known Member
    Supplier

Hi Max, welcome to the forum and good luck :thumbsup:

3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

With that "this has to work" attitude you'll be fine
    That means you are in the right mindset of "i have to canvass" "i have to get another 10 customers this week" etc
    Starting up in winter is harder but it is still possible to get new customers especially as most windies won't bother looking in winter it means no one else near you is canvassing
    Get out there and you'll do great fella
    I'm not far from watford so you need any help just shout

4. norm

norm Grand Master

good to see another bear Max welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

u can do it mate get stuck in

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Welcome Yogi :thumbsup:

7. norm

norm Grand Master

and bring the pic inic basket :clap:

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Ok boo boo

9. JClean

JClean Member

Welcome Max
    I'm going through the same , just starting out.
    It's exciting,nerve wracking but hopefully the freedom it will give me is all worth it.

10. TolishAPurd

Welcome dudeski. Prepare for the ups and the downs and enjoy the ride.

Advertisement