Newbie thinking of starting up

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Rob Phillips, Apr 6, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Rob Phillips

Rob Phillips Member

Hi guys , been reading all the info on here for about 2 weeks . The advice you all give so freely is amazing ! I'm currently in full time employment but after a recent ' scare ' of our factory shutting I'm getting out .
    I have no qualifications and I'm thinking of starting my own round here in Wales . Going to get some business cards printed , then maybe start on weekends first and see how I go ( gulp ) . Going to practise first on my house and friends before I even attempt going public . Just about ready to order the starter list I saw on here . Then roof rack and ladders . I'm sure I'm going to be picking your brains over the next few weeks !

Advertisement
  2. cheapncheerful

hi and welcome...yes loads of stuff on here....the reason we give it is that we dont want you to make the mistakes we have already painfully made!
    dont forget window rounds are sold on here and fleabay if they are local to you maybe the fastest way in..

..i do remember when i got married and decided to leave working for my dad even though i had already been doing windows with him since 14 how scary it was at first ....but i asked my daughter if she was scared starting her new job and she said you bet....do remember the custy doesnt know how long you have been working and the facts you can acquire on here will greatly speed the learning curve up.

good luck with your future and if you get stuck someone on here will gladly help you on your way....and i am of course still learning after thirty plus years cleaning windows......:)

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Welcome Rob. Loads of info here. Where in Wales are you as my mates dad lives in north Wales and is knocking on a bit and might need some help. I don't know if he needs any help, but you never know.

4. Rob Phillips

Rob Phillips Member

Thank you for the advice ! I've been doing a bit of calculation and as long as I can get 3 - 4 customers an hour then I will take home approximately what I make now , do you think this is feasible starting out ? I'm going to get business cards printed and flyers before I start the dreaded canvassing !

5. Rob Phillips

Rob Phillips Member

I'm in South Wales

6. cheapncheerful

yes but it doesnt always work to plan im afraid....some custys like a gab...some give you a cuppa....sometimes they park in the way....the dogs are out...or rabbits or don't forget my favorite on here the clucking hens....many things can spoil your plan and of course most important of all, the great british weather...as in ...will it rain ...or wont it..:eek:

not that i want to put you off or anything.....but it isnt all roses in bloom..and by the way they can be a swine too.....

7. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Depends on the size of the house. Even just starting out I don't think you could do 3 - 4 small houses in an hour. Times that by 7 hours = 21/28 a day, times that by 5 days = 105/140 a week, times that by 1 month = 420/560 houses in total you will need on your books to earn what you do now. Some food for thought there mate.

Welcome to the world of window cleaning, it aint as easy as it seems.

8. Rob Phillips

Rob Phillips Member

Thank
    Thanks for the heads up !To be brutally honest in the job I'm in now a flat month with no overtime I take home £1580 a month for 38.5 hours a week , 3 shifts Nights Mornings Afternoons . I'm not going to walk out and hope to get customers , I'm going to practise practise practise , then try weekends first to see if I've got what it takes . It's just such a dramatic change to my life being my own boss that I'm a bit worried . I'm no shrinking violet I'm 40 years old but fit , been in charge of a 15 million pound machine for 10 years but this is my last chance in my eyes to make something of myself that I feel I've achieved .

9. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Go for it! You only get one chance in this life. How does the land lie in your area, is there a shortage of window cleaners that you know of? One thing I always take note of when driving about is vans/cars with ladders on the roof. I'll think, ahh yeah I know him the p***k or oh yeah it's so and so and pip the horn or who the f**k is that new bloke, never seen him before. I'm waffling aren't I :D

Any chance of redundancy in your job? Hold out for it before you make the big jump.

10. Rob Phillips

Rob Phillips Member

I've been living in my house for 6 years and in that time one WFP company has been around , but all our windows are French top and bottom back and front . I would like to start off traditionally first , then maybe invest in a WFP a bit later if I can . There's one window cleaner who does the main drag but very rarely see him about . There is also one who's the obligatory alcoholic who cleans them with a rag then goes to the pub ! I'm getting a uniform ( once I've thought up a name ) before I canvass so I look more professional . Only Dr Squeegee around here does that but never see him either . Agree that you're only here once , I've budgeted myself £400 to start off just using my car . But I will start weekends first then save that up to cover 3 months mortgage , then maybe take a sickie in work for a few weeks and test the water .
    I think this area is ripe for picking if you go about it professional , but I could be wrong !

Advertisement