Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by windowsurfer, May 1, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. windowsurfer

windowsurfer Forum Addict

Hi to all. I have just started window cleaning in November 2013 at the ripe age of 40. Wanted to change jobs and was considering any sort of small business. However window cleaning came up first, I have a few friends that do it and seem to be surviving, so went for it when I saw a round for sale on gumtree. It certainly is a job not for the faint hearted. Oh my goodness going up the ladders is scary, thankfully all my friends felt the same when they started, still doesn't help the jitters for myself, get quite annoyed at that feeling, suppose its your body just saying its not natural to start off with. Already had a cracker of a fall, nothing broken, but certainly have muscle damage in my leg and a lovely scar up my shin, where my leg went through rungs and twisted. Slimy slabs the culprit and putting the ladders to far out due to a double step at french doors. Funny thing is was I had just spoken to the customer and left a letter that I would be using reach and wash system next time due to the risks of using ladders. Soooo glad they had left when I had the accident. My wife used to call me the Heath and Safety executive, as was(still am) safety conscious, but I have now lost that title. Have bought a trolley system with gardiner 25 slx, (so rather skint at the moment). Think I'm managing to get most of my customers to accept the reach and wash system for tops and doing traditional on bottoms. Some still wanting tops done with ladders. Any way thats a small insight to my shaky start, was under no illusion that it was an easy job, but hopefully will get easier. Totally love youtube and sites like this where window cleaners share their knowledge and are enthusiastic about the job and equipment. Hopefully this post will end up where it should go as I'm not that computer literate.

Advertisement
  2. cheapncheerful

welcome windowsurfer..hey we all have to start somewhere...great post and brings back memories....sounds like you bought the right kit ....maybe following you soon and buying the same, let us all know how you get on...and yes falls of ladders come with the job...mr smurf will put you right on that....with the right equip you should be safe..good luck with your future ..we all friends on here..:rofl: well most of the time....

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

All the best windowsurfer.....just keep working hard, concentrate on quality, be respectful to your customers, be optimistic and you will do just fine.

5. Shiny

Shiny Forum Addict

Welcome to the forum windowsurfer,
    mrtaytay reply about sums it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Yes, welcome to the best forum bar none! Loads of help and tips off very friendly people here.

7. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

Welcome, I gave up a office job 2 years ago and will be 40 next year. The best move is to go wfp and push everyone on it. It took me a month but I just told everyone I was moving to a new modern system. That was a year and a half ago. Keep it up and good luck, and remember to keep advertising.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. norm

norm Grand Master

g'day mate welcome windowsurfer

9. windowsurfer

windowsurfer Forum Addict

Thanks for the welcome. All the best to you guys.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

10. Posh

Posh Hero

Te best move is not nessasary going wfp but looking at saftey accessories for your ladder. There's a lot out there & worth investing in. Of course wfp is safer but with the right equipment a ladder can be safe. Spend a little time using the accessories & you should be fine. We all stand there & think sod it i can't be bothered to put that on but believe me a bit of time setting it up can save yer life.

Advertisement