Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad cleaning with a pole

Alien Human

Hi everyone,

Need some tips and advice with cleaning high reach windows using trad methods.

I have always accessed these previously with ladders and squeegee but this way is beginning to become more and more tricky for various reasons.........need to ditch the ladders and use a trad pole instead.

Examples are: the insides of tall shop windows, windows above common way entrances and awkward 1st floor windows where WFP or ladders won't work.........

So: what tools do you guys use and please can I get some tips with methods & techniques?

Thanks very much peeps /emoticons/smile.png

Pointer ladders will reduce the amount of trad poling you have to do massively, its the most underestimated piece of equipment in window cleaning. You can often rest the point on the thin frames between the windows.

But for trad poling itself its worth getting a wagtail, as that gets you to all the ones at awkward angles. Then its just about practice. Best tip I can give for pole work is to not let the applicator touch the tops or sides on a regular clean.

Wagtail on a harris pole with unger cone fitted

Use a slimline flipper 12"

Can easily trad any window 1st floor and some second floor

Learn how to fan with it and no detailing will be needed

Look at polzn bladz vids as that's who showed me how to do it

I used to use a 0° swiveloc but then needed to detail if really high and takes ages swapping applicator for squeegee

I use a pointer and I couldn't do without it. I can pretty much reach any window within reason. Being able to place the rubber top block anywhere on the frames is very useful + that way I'm always holding on to the ladder with one hand when working! When I see windys with standard ladders positioned under the cill's which means they're not holding on to the ladder whilst cleaning makes me nervous!

I also need to get a wagtail and practice pole work as I'm deficient in this method and would be good to learn :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone - especially for the tips.

Sounds like a wagtail slimline flipper & Harris pole is going to be a good start.

Would anyone recommend going for the pivot control as well or just stick with just slimline?

Think the point ladders will also be handy but further down the line.

I was cleaning a window above a main common way door (on the inside) yesterday and dont want to risk being knocked off mee ladders with people coming in /emoticons/smile.png

I need to adapt my fibreglass pole to quickloc..no idea how and do only gardiner poles fit gardiner brushes as i like the look of some of them

@H MAN

Thanks everyone - especially for the tips.
Sounds like a wagtail slimline flipper & Harris pole is going to be a good start.

Would anyone recommend going for the pivot control as well or just stick with just slimline?
Stick with the slimline..get an adjustable crank for it and you can get the perfect angle on whichever window you need to

If you can't fan at height do straight pulls and after chuck a folded microfibre on the end of the pole and quickly wipe the top edge

trad pole work is very hard on the body, harder than climbing ladders . i do some trad pole work every day [harris +wagtail slimline ] but id be very surprised if its possible to do it fulltime instead of ladders

Back