Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

If you were gonna hire a friend to canvas. What would you pay?

steele

So I might hire a friend to canvass a couple of times a month. Help me and help him.

How would you pay. Hourly or on a commission?

A commission seems best but what would that be? Should there be a small day rate with commission on top?

Thanks

So I might hire a friend to canvass a couple of times a month. Help me and help him.

A commission seems best but what would that be? Should there be a small day rate with commission on top?

Thanks
WHats your mates circumstances? Age? Familly? Experience?

Probably easier to just ask how much he realistically wants to earn and work from there. I would be paying minimum wage or thereabouts, and give him a chance to beef it up with commission just like I did with the lad working with me recently. £50 for the day, + a fiver for each custommer he gets me. He should easily get you 6 customers a day, taking it up to 80 quid a day, which is not a bad wage. But the more he gets you in a day, the more value you get out of it so touch wood he'll be getting a lot more than 6.

you want to pay him top dollar at first , to make sure he doesnt wilt cos itll be tuff to start same as any other job. and november isnt the best time now be honest . 40 notes in his hand at days end no matter what the result is what id give for a few days and encourage him at lunchtime buy him sausage roll, proper bakers one, no co-op sh it , cos he will be very unsure

but if after 3 days it becomes clear he was really cra ppy at selling your services , no radical sign of improvement id call it a day thered be no hard feelings

Last edited:
Ok. They both sound like Good advice. Problem is I won't be able to go with him, I can't walk at the moment. So it'll be a case of train him at home and trust that he's putting in the graft. Difficult to coach him that way! Maybe it'll be best to wait till my injury has healed a bit.

I would pay him 1x or 2x if hes willing to guarantee 2 cleans

OR pay him minimum wage and a bonus per custy, but for that to work you have to either supervise him or really trust that he wont slack off and just take the minimum wage

I paid a couple of lads to help me earlier this year, paid them at minimum wage only but i went out with them to supervise, it went ok, they both got work and covered the money outlay but neither wanted to do it again.

HI Steele,

Hopefully I can offer some good advice on this subject!

The qualities you require in an individual are:

a. Desire/Urgency/commitment to earn money ongoing.

b. Presentable & comfortable to communicate at the door step on inside the potential customers home. The sales part would come naturally to him/her, otherwise they would not apply for the position - friend or not.

c. A clear understanding of what you are trying to achieve with your cleaning business.

The difficult part is finding such individuals, direct sales has a very high churn rate with sales agents.

From my 16 years experience in direct sales, the ones that stay and earn well have the combination above.

Try this for an advert on Gumtree in your local area. (this is what the good ones look for in a potential opportunity.

Title: Door to Door Sales Individual or Team Required Now

We are currently looking to expand our professional cleaning business to domestic homes within the (put all the areas here)

To achieve our growth, we need serious individuals who enjoy speaking to people at their doors, understand what it takes to sign and close potential customers and work flexible hours.

No experience required, probably the easiest sales pitch ever, Fantastic commission available (or hourly rate, whatever you decide, I suggest commissions only, starting at x1)

Immediate start.

HI Steele,
Hopefully I can offer some good advice on this subject!

The qualities you require in an individual are:

a. Desire/Urgency/commitment to earn money ongoing.

b. Presentable & comfortable to communicate at the door step on inside the potential customers home. The sales part would come naturally to him/her, otherwise they would not apply for the position - friend or not.

c. A clear understanding of what you are trying to achieve with your cleaning business.

The difficult part is finding such individuals, direct sales has a very high churn rate with sales agents.

From my 16 years experience in direct sales, the ones that stay and earn well have the combination above.

Try this for an advert on Gumtree in your local area. (this is what the good ones look for in a potential opportunity.

Title: Door to Door Sales Individual or Team Required Now

We are currently looking to expand our professional cleaning business to domestic homes within the (put all the areas here)

To achieve our growth, we need serious individuals who enjoy speaking to people at their doors, understand what it takes to sign and close potential customers and work flexible hours.

No experience required, probably the easiest sales pitch ever, Fantastic commission available (or hourly rate, whatever you decide, I suggest commissions only, starting at x1)

Immediate start.
Thanks mate, great advice

We are currently discussing hiring a full time canvasser (by full time we mean winter hours 10am - 4pm summer hours 3pm - 7pm, 3 or 4 days a week)

I think we are settled on living wage £7.45 per hour up here, and also pay them the first clean as commission (once the first clean is done)

I think you need to budget for 3 or 4 days of hourly wages and that will allow you to see if they have the gumption so to speak for signing then up at the door.

If they aren't producing results worth while in 3 days then I don't think it's gonna happen and then time to let them move on and try someone else.

Thanks
My cousin does a bit for me, ex sales (recently made redundant) of a big corperate with many years experience, good talker (gift of the gab) I pay him the first clean which works well, he gets it once I have done the first clean, so after that customer retained and it's all profit from there on. He does leaflets for when people are not home and if I get one from a leaflet he has dropped the same comission applies. For any one off jobs he lands like connys gutters etc I pay him 20% of the job price.

Back