Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reverse camera kit

WCF

Help Support WCF:

AGlassAct

Just fitted a reverse camera, parking sensors and a screen to my van - thought I would share the details as I am very impressed with the quality and overall result. Especially for the price!

All bits from eBay

Screen - 5" high res, item no. 222020148827. £25.79.

CCD Camera. Item no.

181852541396. £10.95

Parking sensors. Item no.

141038761146. £14.90

I went for the parking sensors with buzzer as I couldn't see the point of the crappy screen that some come with showing the distance. Really easy to fit , just check you have some available plastic to drill in to - they suggest you install around 45cm from the floor, which was difficult for me but they are working fine a bit lower.

I also mounted my camera high up, I was going to put it inbetween my number plate lights - I wanted one of the cameras that just replaced your existing light but I am so glad I didn't as the wider angle of mounting it up high has made the world of difference. I pre wired everything first and tested the camera in different positions on the back - I didn't like the idea of drilling through metal but I really can't see it being in a better position any where else.

I wanted wireless originally - but I had already taken the ply out of the back and was worried about interference from other electricals. I managed to trace the cigarette socket wiring to behind my glove box so t'd into it and ran a wire up to the dash for the screen. The other wiring is t'd into the reverse light supply - I connected both the sensors and camera to the same wire.

One thing to note is that some vans have canbus - for these installations a connector/ adaptor box is required in line with the sensors. I chose this specific sensor kit as such an adaptor box is readily available, cheap too!

I will grab a picture of the camera location in the day if anyone is interested.

160b3542bf0061e09568881f8339924e.jpg
ef048ce2a953c5e93a0990c5734144c6.jpg
2f001ff99cd12e2037f0f041b847939a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I don't even have a rear view mirror in my car as i broke it but i have wing mirrors so no need for one

I can't stand the reversing sensors as they take the thinking out of driving

You should know how close you are to something as you have mirrors and can see the end of your van with them

I have one of them cameras in mine, absolute fantastic job they are , my camera is just to the right of the number plate

I know how close my van always is but cars on the other hand....

Mother has a Toyota Verso with a reverse camera. When she visits she comes on ferry with car so we use hers. When driving it using the old 'look over shoulder' method you will be convinced there is not another inch to be had. Look at the screen and see there is still 2ft to go. Well strange feeling using the camera to park up.

View attachment 6770 Rear camera position and sensors - if you can make them out! The camera is just below the high level brake light, dead centre.

The rear sensors have a slight 'direction up' which is the ideal position. The sensors come with angle adapters to adjust the angle of them slightly upwards.

I forgot to mention both the camera and sensors came with hole cutters of the appropriate size.

View attachment 6769

View attachment 6771

I have been driving big vehicles for so long it becomes habit

I can pretty much jump in anything and be fine with the different dimensions and parking it etc

I suppose they are handy for some but never rely on them as you need to be judging distances for yourself

Hi Kevinc250, it's a new shape combo - fiat Doblo in fancy dress.

DanielT - not really - I can get within mm with the sensors but like Daveyboy says they are purely ther as a last resort, I'm still unsure parking this thing and can't afford to have another dent taken out (brought it with a scrape). It's saved me once already as I wasn't paying attention on a customers awkward drive. It is very difficult to reverse just using the camera - it is definitely for fine adjustment purposes, and it's great having the third eye so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I don't even have a rear view mirror in my car as i broke it but i have wing mirrors so no need for oneI can't stand the reversing sensors as they take the thinking out of driving

You should know how close you are to something as you have mirrors and can see the end of your van with them
I have 2 reversing sensors on each side of the rear bumper on my Van. The middle ones are a challenge to fit due to towbar and the shape of the rear bumper center section.

The other day at a junction a bus decided to turn the corner into the street I was in but needed to encroach onto my side of the road to make the turn. As there was a queue of cars waiting at the stop street I decide to reverse back after I checked both rear view mirrors to give the bus room to turn. I didn't see a motor cyclist that was parked in the blind spot. Thankfully I reversed very slowly and he was able to take avoiding action. The motor cyclist wasn't seen by the bus driver either. A reversing camera would have saved a potential accident which I don't want a repeat of.

Also be warned, the sensors do not know that my ladders extend 8 - 10 inches further back than my rear bumper.
/emoticons/smile.png .............. or skips.

We had a customer come back into the garage complaining the rear sensors in the new car she bought didn't work properly and the company (Citroen) was responsible for the damage to the tailgate and rear window.

She had reversed into a skip.

Who in their right mind would want to park a new car that close to a skip? Surely that's asking for the car to be damaged.

Phone your insurance company Ma'am.

Back