Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with price

WCF

Help Support WCF:

H

Hunty

Hi all,

Received a text asking for quote, whilst I have told them it's an estimate without seeing I don't have any jobs like this so just wanted to get opinions what do you think?...

Good evening. Looking for a quote to clean, inside out, 14 windows, 2 Velux windows, 8 internal glass doors, 16 mirrored wardrobe doors. At 3 storey property in E15, monthly on a Friday. Thank you. Dustin

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Now your blind 'quote' is going to be £50 less than what it should be and they're gonna feel bitter thinking you're trying to mug em off or you're going to end up resenting it as you're doing it too cheap cause you don't want to bump the figure to where it should be.

I will never quote without visiting a job first. Rather invest 10 mins of my time to get it right than make a massive blunder and be p****d at myself for doing so.

I have priced jobs without seeing them a few times and I think that I have regretted it every time. I find most people lie or try to soften the job over the phone. Got a call once from a chap who wanted Windows cleaned in and out on 6 bed country house. I asked "is it a new build?" "No" he said. "It is seven years old. " Priced it over the phone €75 thinking 3 hours tops. Got there and all stickers and plastic still on windows. Never cleaned after build was finished. I was ripping. Had to walk away from that one.

I've been told so many porkies by people asking for blind quotes I either go in very high or insist on seeing the job first. I've been told there's no conservatory when there is numerous times, and no patio doors when they're wall to wall is another one I've had a few times.

Fair points to all, I think this fella has been honest as he told me what we're being cleaned but because I have not done this type of clean before I did not ask the right questions, how many panes are the internal doors is the best example.

I did say I only ever estimate not quote with out viewing so if he happy (was text) with provisional I will view and give a quote.

I am used to council houses fronts the odd back so my largest domestic price is £20 felt a bit odd estimating this at £70 so did not expect him to say yes which was a bit stupid to say the least! I will let you know if anything comes of it but lesson learnt as always [emoji106]

I won't price jobs over the phone, learned that the hard way.

Straight off the bat I tell them I'll come and have a look and give them a price, there are too many variables to price over the phone.

When I started out a bloke I was scaffolding with said "my gutters need emptying and cleaning and my windows need doing on the outside, I'll give you £100"

I thought yeah that sounds good, got there and the house was huge with dormers and all sorts, great big bushes growing from the gutters and the down pipes were solid all the way to the bottom, took me all day to do.

Nowadays I would have doubled that price

Back