Nissan Kubistar 1.5L D any good?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by StorminNorman, Sep 3, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Since my car was killed on a motorway and I am still waiting for the cheque from insurance company, I am considering all the options and now thinking get a Van instead.

After a serious research I have came to a conclusion - Nissan Kubistar. Nicely priced over here, and it would be all I need for now - ten 25L drums, my backpack and pole is all it needs to carry around on a everyday basis.

My concern is - how reliable they are. I know it is basically the same as Renault Kangoo and over the years I had a bad (BAD!) experience with french cars, so any advice would be highly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

It's the same engine in the kangoo,munis tar,Clio etc
    It's 1.5 dci and to be honest a very quiet reliable engine and brill on diesel I think the return 55-65mpg
    Things to watch are the injectors
    Make sure it's got a good reliable service
    And the cam belt had been done there pretty much guaranteed to snap on these
    Not much to get done

3. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

them 1.5 dci engines are very good from what i here they like to be frashed to keep them running smove and not cloged up ect spruce may no a little more about them

4. spruce

spruce Grand Master

As per Eviestevie. The only thing to add is to keep away from vans that have a high mileage, but I say that with any van. Pay more for one that has lower mileage and well cared for.

The 1.5tci seems to have less problems than the early 1.6 hdi engines used by Peugeot/Citroen.

Main dealer service history is important as you have a better chance of them draining the oil through the drain plug as apposed to them sucking it out through the dip stick tube.

Some of the early 1.9 Renault Kangoos did well here engine wise, but they had major rust and body work issues. The 1.4 diesel was well under powered IMHO but was economical on fuel.

Unfortunately, you haven't much choice with regard vans these days. I've often heard people voice their dissatisfaction with French vehicles, but we have always had good service from them over the years. (Renault R10, R16, R8, R12, R5 and now Citroen Xsaras, Peugeot Partner. I'm excluding my Citroen Relay as that is Fiat built.) Its its Italian made which a few like Mercedes have got into bed with. If you look at a new Ford Transit Connect you are getting a vehicle built in Turkey. (I know of a German company that stopped buying Ford when production moved to Turkey because the CEO is racially prejudice.)

The VW Caddy is well over priced and built in Poland.

Personally, if you are going to make a change now, then get something with a decent payload and upgrade to a van mount. Lugging 25 liter drums about will do your back in.

-

5. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Thanks! :)

6. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Thanks!

Yes, I agree. And it all depends on the previous owner I guess when buying a used van or car.

Whats "high mileage" on the van in your opinion?

Never owned a van but for cars I tend to stay away from the ones that have done over 150K miles.

Advertisement