Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

......:Hi from Wales:......

xellos99

Hi, I am from south wales and no I am not starting a new window business.

The story goes about 10 years ago I attempted to start a round.

I targeted one story residential estates, going door to door and tried cards through door a little also.

Everywhere I went there was already a cleaner there or people would be out or most just said no thanks.

Main issue was there was a Jahova Witness with a good size cleaning firm paying other jahovas minimum wage to go to every house in the land and suck up all the work. The spare was taken by other independent cleaners and I found I had a lone customer here and there.

2nd issue. Would start cleaning for said customers and arrange a weekly/monthly etc time to return.

So went back and half the people would say oh not this months thanks, come back next month.

Basically I was making peenuts. I even said a price to one customer and they said they thought it was too low and offered me a higher price so I accepted. Went back a month later and they said I was too expensive lol.

3rd issue. Started work on a Police officers bungalow. After a couple of visits the guy and his wife accuse me of scratching a window and demanded repair. The windows were a mess from dog claw damage before I started work there and the way I do windows so slowly and carefully there is no way I put a scratch into the glass.

So like so many others I said this is impossible to get on with and quit.

Now I have been made redundant and don't want to start a round as such but sometimes I pass a newly built huge posh estate of bungalows and have a itch to go around them in-case there is no cleaner operating there.

So that is why I joined here to get advice this time and ask questions I am unclear about.

Thanks for reading, long boring story I know lol.

Im in swansea, id say go for it, theres loads of work out there you just need to look for it, its hard graft to get going but once you get 100 customers the work flys in. Been doing this nearly 18 month and ive never been busier.

Im in swansea, id say go for it, theres loads of work out there you just need to look for it, its hard graft to get going but once you get 100 customers the work flys in. Been doing this nearly 18 month and ive never been busier.
Yes its good work, its just I found there was two businesses who had a stranglehold in the area. Ultima cleaning and Ultra cleaning. Both paying peenuts to minions who they order to act like independent window cleaners going door to door all day every day.

Crack into Lampeter, there's money lurking round there. Llandeilo too!

I'm just a bit further west from you in Pembs (I mainly clean around the Fishguard area). As other posters have mentioned there is work out there, however as you get started you're bound to get the odd knock-back, you just need to pick yourself up & carry on.

Yes its good work, its just I found there was two businesses who had a stranglehold in the area. Ultima cleaning and Ultra cleaning. Both paying peenuts to minions who they order to act like independent window cleaners going door to door all day every day.
I'm in that area. Know EXACTLY what you mean. /emoticons/unsure.png

Back