Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van or Trolley .....thoughts

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gasket

Hey Guys,

This is my first of what i imagine will be many questions as i look to make the jump from trad to wfp later in the year.

My first question is should i go for a van system or a trolley system? I am part time with about 200 customers on a 4 weekish cycle. The area i live in has very hard water, im waiting for my TDS reader to be delivered.

I currently operate out the boot, of hatchback, so im thinking its going to be too small for the trolley and gear, but then if im going to upgrade the car to an estate or a small van, should i just go for the full vehicle system?

Thanks in advance

Thinking maybe "dip my toe " in and start with trolley in boot , and if all goes to plan upgrade to a better a vehicle, I'm reading that having a trolley as well is always a useful option

Why not get a gardeners back pack and a cheap trolly for it to go on from Screwfix?

See if you can buy pure locally from someone and just have containers in the car to fill your back pack up with when it runs dry. It's a reasonably cheap taster

Once you start down the wfp route it gets a bit addictive so you'll regret just getting an estate as you'll want a van mount pretty soon.

I've worked from a Nissan Primera P11 saloon for nearly ten years wfp. I've also seen two fellas working wfp from a fairly new rather nice looking white Fiesta round my way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a seat Leon so the boot is restricted. Was thinking of the pure freedom nano light weight trolley
I'm using a Skoda Fabia hatchback, no trouble getting my trad gear and a backpack/trolley all in.

I'm planning to upgrade to van mount this summer but backpack was perfect way to 'dip my toe' into wfp without the big outlay until had confidence in the clean and equipment.

Last edited:
Cheers for your responses guys,

So from reading , provided my TDS level allows it, I go Tap - DI Vessel - Tank - Decant to 25 l drums.

Next question is what DI Vessels , as there seems to be different sizes, and what size tank should i get, based on up to about 20 houses a day , I have Water access and storage in garage.

Again sorry to be a pain in asking what will be basic questions to some of you

I am in same position. I am a new guy in this block and I have been thinking of getting a window cleaning van. To be candid I have no previous experience with the use of this equipment. Please what do you advice? Should I start with the trolley system or back packs?

I am in same position. I am a new guy in this block and I have been thinking of getting a window cleaning van. To be candid I have no previous experience with the use of this equipment. Please what do you advice? Should I start with the trolley system or back packs?

Cheers for your responses guys,
So from reading , provided my TDS level allows it, I go Tap - DI Vessel - Tank - Decant to 25 l drums.

Next question is what DI Vessels , as there seems to be different sizes, and what size tank should i get, based on up to about 20 houses a day , I have Water access and storage in garage.

Again sorry to be a pain in asking what will be basic questions to some of you
Where are you based @Gasket? If your TDS is under 100 then you'll get away with just a DI vessel which you don't need to store in a tank - just decant straight into the 25L drums.

As for DI, I think @doug atkinson from Daqua recommends an 11-litre DI vessel if filling from tap water pressure. But find out your TDS first; your location will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Im based in Clayhanger, Walsall, West Midlands, we have what appears to be quite hard water here although im still waiting for my tds meter to arrive. Would you get a new d i vessel or risk one off ebay

Check out the 'Parts Per Million Map' resource on the main page. Wolverhampton is registering 240ppm so if your TDS reading also shows 200+ppm (very likely) then a single DI will be a very expensive option. Some guys double up their DI to reduce the strain on the resin bit realistically to go WFP you need to consider an RO set up or find out if you can buy Pure Water locally until you decide go ahead with WFP...

PS. Personally I wouldn't buy from ebay - no way of telling how long you'll get out the current resin so doubt you'd save much in reality.

Thanks Hawke,

As it looks like my PPm is going to be quite high, i should do some reading up on RO, do u have any useful links to guides of whats needed and potential costs etc.

Again many thanks for all your input

Search the site mate and do some reading - everything you'll need to know is here and everyone's happy to help answer specifics.

I'd suggest you start by reading @Kips' thread in the Tutorials section and check out the vids and tips for getting started with RO.

having started myself last sept in a hard water part of the uk i think it is 390 ish from the tap i got a collison water ro from e bay, and a 11l di from daqua. the ro dose the job to a point, but in hindsight i with i had got the ro from daqua as well....its all about not skimping on the ro membrane!! and daqua supply very good ones, not like the cheap ones from other suppliers. and its been said the min ro for one man setup is 450gpd, i have found that to be about right if you are just starting out...

ps you may need a booster pump as well if your water pressure is under 60-70 psi...so that's another cost to factor in.

and when you do get your set up tune it in...you may want to google tds creep:whistle:

Latest Posts

Back