Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Alarm bells start to ring

WCF

Help Support WCF:

i canvas 3 to 4 days a week getting about 25 a week been at it 3 weeks now im in the middle of starting website . im pushing fb goin start a small ad on google ads to

I'm struggling with the facebook thing. I joined just to do marketing and I'm stumped, probably because I don't enjoy the Facebook thing and I've got about four 'friends' or likes or whatever they are!

Might have to canvass but I'd rather just drop a leaflet, I can't stand the buggers that knock my door, though I am always polite to them, even the JWs

I've run a few 'groupon' deals before. It suits my business being mostly commercial work which needs doing early in the morning or late in the evening, giving me the time inbetween to fill with other work. Yes, it does attract penny pinchers and those who are really unlikely to ever become regular customers at regular prices but there is the benefit that you get the cash mostly upfront so no hassle with chasing payments. 'Getting your name out there' is a phrase some of the daily deal companies use to get you onboard but the reality is that is a load of ****.

getting your name out there" IS what its all about,promote your business as many ways as you can ,cheaply ,i personally never do the upgrades .

if you are a bottom feeder, ads on gumtree,viva, friday Ad etc all are very worthwhile .each ad must be updated every week,load up fresh fotos- its a drag, boring as hell .but if you dont sow you wont reap

your marketing needs effortS, yes S , you must make effortS ,several different ways. putting out a hook on several lines in the water increases the catch. 1 paltry leafletting splurge or half baked canvassing and home for lunch and loose women will get you nowhere and you know it

be ready with one or 2 quickfire questions and i write down the answers [on a scrap of paper glued to my steering wheel ], so i can filter phone enquiries fast and dont pick up real dross. im always reassured during first contact when i hear them say "i want it monthly can you do that?"

less so if i hear "iv got no money"

Last edited:
Well I eventually got to see that lady in the op today after she cancelled my appointmeny last sat. She called me on Thursday whilst I was working to say can I come then. I felt like saying so I will just drop everything then shall I. Anyway today I found out the cleaner that stopped coming charged 12 squid also is not interested in the job anymore as every time she phones him he is rude. She had another quote for 17 squid too but sounds a right pain in the **** to me by what she was saying. I then gave her my price of 25 squid which she said was way too much. It's a frigging large 4 bed detached with a massive deep conservatory that runs the full length of the back so what do you expect woman.:rolleyes:

Some ppl are total time wasters and I thought I was cheap at £25....

Typical groupon muppet springs to mind /emoticons/biggrin.png

Sounds like £25 is reasonable to me. Surely they want a good job, not a bodge, otherwise it's a waste of Any money they spent.

Some ppl like to penny pinch so they get what they pay for most of the time. That is why the other guy probably don't want to do it anymore as obviously he screwed up on the price.

Sounds like £25 is reasonable to me. Surely they want a good job, not a bodge, otherwise it's a waste of Any money they spent.

Bet she's happy to pay £60 for her hair cut that takes half hour, or car service etc.

I'm charging a few £ more than first comes to mind so I'm comfortable staying a bit longer to cover all the bases... The second clean of my first one was a shock, either I missed loads of grubby bits or airborne dirt is quite noticeable after two weeks. Either way, spent ages the second time making sure I got into the frames with brush and pressure spray.

The way I see it all groupon will do is gladly take over half of the gross cost of each voucher they sell for doing bugger all. Then it's up to the cleaner to fulfil their promise and work for next to nothing in hope they may get more work out of it.
The type of ppl that buy groupon vouchers I think are the type of ppl that will not want to pay much for future work anyway so I can see it being at total waste of time to even hope to make it pay long term

So what did you make per job after groupons cut?
We ended up in the region of £10K Smurf, but for the time that took us, almost 3 months to complete as I recall, I would not do it again.

What I would do is run a coupon in my local newspaper, giving my prices and a hefty discount as plenty of grannies read the paper but not Groupon. Also grannies that come to you through the paper would most likely need a good regular handyman for all those odd jobs.

The hook for Groupon is YOU have no upfront cost - The Newspaper ad would cost you but you then get to keep 100% of all business. Just dont forget to put an expiry date on your coupon.

need to work on fine details and make it bulletproof but thinkin of this to keep 2 use busy in winter wen some peeps fall of
You got good shoes aint ya? Well keep busy in winter by replacing the drop off assholes with new clients, when the drop offs want back in in the spring it's £5 ontop of the old price as they are not a 'regular' customer anymore.

I'm fooked if I would do a job for 50% off my normal price for someone doing sweet **** all for their share....Comes to think of it a certain training course springs to mind :rolleyes:

Probably seems a sweet deal while lounging pool side in the Caribbean checking your Luxembourg account on your iPhone 8.... For the other half

That's how ppl make easy money... that is skimming off a good whack off the graft of others.

Back