Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

so just how much does a £6.50 job go up?

cheapncheerful

now okay....i accept that down south you probably don't get out of the car for £6.50 but up here in the north......

anyway a cleaner told me her windows had just gone up from £6.50....

okay you cant see the house but that doesnt really matter.....

how much?

now okay....i accept that down south you probably don't get out of the car for £6.50 but up here in the north......
anyway a cleaner told me her windows had just gone up from £6.50....

okay you cant see the house but that doesnt really matter.....

how much?
It all depends on how much you want to keep the £6.50 customers.

When I first started I bought some work off another windy just to get me started , and not surprising I got the work he did't want ie the £6.50 jobs.

Now as I ve gone on I concentrated on getting higher paid jobs so now I am in a position that I can get rid of the lower paid jobs, so I would either say to them that the price is going up £3 knowing that the majority wont pay it, no real loss to me now because I am covered with the upper priced jobs.

Cant see the point of doing 15/16 jobs a day when you can earn the same money doing 9/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on how much you want to keep the £6.50 customers.When I first started I bought some work off another windy just to get me started , and not surprising I got the work he did't want ie the £6.50 jobs.

Now as I ve gone on I concentrated on getting higher paid jobs so now I am in a position that I can get rid of the lower paid jobs, so I would either say to them that the price is going up £3 knowing that the majority wont pay it, no real loss to me now because I am covered with the upper priced jobs.

Cant see the point of doing 15/16 jobs a day when you can earn the same money doing 9/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i see your point, as stated when i used to sell part of my round off it was always the lower end! and yes as a starter round it has its uses...however your price guess is wrong but i do wonder if that is what happened.....or some windys ...like me ....just dont put up the prices for ages and suddenly realise they are as mr smurf says....busy fools..../emoticons/smile.png

Any job has got to be worth a minimum of £10 which doesn't matter where you live surely?:rolleyes:

i see your point, as stated when i used to sell part of my round off it was always the lower end! and yes as a starter round it has its uses...however your price guess is wrong but i do wonder if that is what happened.....or some windys ...like me ....just dont put up the prices for ages and suddenly realise they are as mr smurf says....busy fools..../emoticons/smile.png
better to be a busy fool than sitting at home on your butt lacking work. because by being out on the street you get seen ,and work breeds work

Any job has got to be worth a minimum of £10 which doesn't matter where you live surely?:rolleyes:
ohh sorry mr smurf what you say is probably true but the majority of my work is well below that.and i do keep regular checks on rounds on ebay so i do know they exist ...still i do plan to keep on smurfin the prices..../emoticons/biggrin.png you do sound like my dad by the way ...he was always good with his prices...paper millionaire now..but just has his pension to live on these days...as in...its in his house.....

true boarcity best to be out and about besides you can always drop it or treat it like i do and use it as a filler....or a rainy day....remember you cant buck the market...market forces control the price....

i am sorry to who ever put these windows up but i kinda got three jobs so far out of it and whilst i dont want to pinch other peoples work...someone will do it..
/emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone can be a busy fool as cnc put it...

If you wanted a low paid job working your butt off for a pittance and having to work long hours you would be better off working for someone else surley?:rolleyes:

better to be a busy fool than sitting at home on your butt lacking work. because by being out on the street you get seen ,and work breeds work

And now for a vid to jog some thought on how you price jobs in future...

[media]

[/media]

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at people willing to graft but I think the chap in the vid says it all really.

so i thought seeing as i offer quite an irregular service as in i clean em when i feel they are ready to be cleaned ...i would offer my customers next day windowcleaning by text...text address ......leave money out...windows cleaned.....so far the only couple that have taken me up on it are a pain in the butt....one is only....lets give mr smurf heart attack... £3.... well its only really a front and two climbs at that....but why does he keep asking me ...its not worth lifting my ladders off for that...but then again if its raining...and i am passing...£3 gets me a pint .plain glass easy blade...5 mins work max.../emoticons/smile.png

Have to agree there @cheapncheerful. I have one or two at £3.50. Front only, 4 windows, in a row of 8 out of 10 houses, walking past with pole anyway and 2 minutes work max. A pint is a pint :thumbsup:. Sorry, but I couldn't justify asking £10 for that small amount of work when next door would be £10 for the whole house.

On the other hand, I wouldn't drive a couple of miles for a £3.50 job as it wouldn't be worth it.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

yeh that petrol dont go far..so £3.50 means you have to be careful..mind you it doesnt help when a bmw thinks he has the power to overtake me....its a good job he stopped as i was at a speed i would not like to publish in the public domain and still only in third gear....and dont worry i would never in the slightest realms take on a bike...and i always get out of the way and let them pass.....i wouldnt mind but i was only a mile from home....but boys will be boys...:devil:

When i first started 6 yrs ago i found out what the local big boy charged and set my prices a quid or 2 less . Youre going to have to take a lot of sh/t in the first 3 years

ive seen several new boy start-ups in the last 6 years who set up with a high price structure/arrogant attitude .All have failed or gone into carpet cleaning

Maybe we should all consider getting into carpet cleaning then...

To be honest I've not met a poor carpet cleaner yet and I've known a few personally for the last 30 odd years.

Not aimed at anyone in particular here so please don't take offence, but;

Respect yourself, respect your work, and respect your trade. You need to buy tools, you need to buy consumables, you need to drive to a job, you need to insure your van/car, insurance, advertising... the list goes on. Why on earth would you charge 3.50 (or anything close) to anyone???

When I get a recommendation from a customer, I want it to be about the quality of my work, not the price I charge. If its based on price, then you can bet that recomendation will be wanting an equally silly price.

If you think this is a good trade now, imagine how good it would be if every windy set the price at around £3 per window? Right now with everyone trying to beat each other, the price has been driven down so low, that either the quality of the job is suffering, or the hourly wage (worked out after overheads, not actual time) is so ridiculous, you may aswell work at ASDA.

you can make good money with low priced work,as long as you have plenty of it . you just have to work smarter . for example no standing around ,youve a job to do and lots of it so crack on . low priced work normally gets tips added so uve time for a quick 1 liner to make the customer laugh .

im not silly low with pricing but iv hundreds of low-ish price jobs for my 3workers to do and we get a lot of tips and inside jobs that bump things up by being almost part of the family so to speak.

A benefit about being relatively low priced is that non of the flash boys can get a toehold in your area

after all thats how the Macdonalds empire was built, on low prices .

Last edited:
You charge what you are happy to earn, remember that if your working in your local shop, the likeliness is you will be on £6.50 a hour. Some of my jobs are lower than they should be, but I still earn £20plus an hour, it is swings and roundabouts. People that charge £10 for 3 windows are ripping customers off, and will only get a bad name for them self for over charging....This £3.50 job if it only takes 15min, and you then got the 3 houses next to it at the same price that would be £14 for hours work.

£14ph aint a bad wage believe me. Not only will you be down that road for a hour with your van stating your number, you have 4 happy customers there recommending you to there friends and family.

Take the rough with the smooth is what I say.

(1.50 increase)

Pricing has always been a contentious subject. In my book competing on price (deliberately under pricing jobs to win work) when you know customers would be happy to pay a bit more for a quality job only devalues the service and drives prices down further.

It's up to the individual how they want to operate their business but for me I don't need to undersell my services to gain work.

Back