Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaning the 1890's way!!!

rjacandwc

Four the past three years now I have been using a 2m Abru ext ladder (4.7m extended) on a bicycle trailer in certain places to get about. Also I have certain areas I cover using different lock-ups. Spent a fair few quid on ladders over the years. Although, I guess I have saved loads on fuel... I do not drive due to a personal disability. Recently, I have felt alittle deflated. I have done well to get through this wet old winter we have had. But. I seem to spend to much time trying to deal with what I cannot do... and I do not concentrate on what I can do. I want to start the new financial year gaining more bungalows etc. Although, I was just wondering is there any other way people get ladders about. Smaller ladders. What are Combi's like?... I used to have a Extend and Climb. Although, I find that they do not extend enough... Does anyone else on the forum use a Bike and Foot. Would be interested to know how you get on with your day to day work etc...

Hiya rja. I can imagine its hard work transporting your ladder around via bike. Not sure if a combination ladder is the answer. I have one but use it infrequently. The telescopic ladders look pretty easy for carrying around but dont seem to be great in height. I do know there is a window cleaner in my neighbouring village who doesnt drive.....he walks his whole round with all of his kit and ladder which must be hard as its a very steep and hilly village. We all feel a bit deflated at times, but you need to look at what you have achieved over the past 3 years. It sounds like you have worked really hard and have done brilliantly. I think it would be best to keep canvassing with a view to condensing your round so that you dont have to travel so much. Aiming for the bungalows is a good idea too. Keep plugging away mate and I am sure things will get better and better.

Could you not try doing away with ladders altogether and do trad pole work instead?

Thank You for the advice!!!... I can always count on the WCF and the Windy's on here to keep me motivated!

Keep yer chin up bud as we all here to help if we can. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Hi Rja,

I remember reading an article in the window cleaning federation magazine of a window cleaner who couldn't drive due to a similar situation as yourself. He built himself a big cart and had his ladders hitched on each side, he used to push it about his run. Guys like yourself I have upmost respect for because this job aint easy at the best of times.

Si

hey mate lot of good advice already

is there custy would allow ya to store ladders in your different cleaning areas?

I have a set of treble ladders that closed are about 2.4 mtrs and open can reach all 2 story windows i do

ya could try instead of a bucket [if ya use one] get a spray bottle in your belt

possibly use old milk/beer crate lnstead of step/ladder if it suits ya

good luck @rjacandwc

Hi! All. Thank You for the wonderful advice and just knowing that you all understand how difficult things can be at times reminds me that I'm not the only person in this world of window cleaning "Up against it"!!!!... Sometimes, people tend to "Do my head in" more than the job itself... Many people take us Window Cleaners for granted. It's certainly a game of cat and mouse!. One day... I'm banging out lots of houses and some days I seem to lose my confidence. Having a love affair with the weather does not always help matters.

I have and am always trying different ways to get around easier. Sometimes keeping it simple just using the feet sometimes seems the best way. And then sometimes "Carrying" gets abit to much so I get my trailer out. I have used the "Sprayer on the Belt system". Which I found good. But, in the end with everything - I seem to go back to basics.... I have areas where I keep ladders locked up. I have two of just about every thing!... And sometimes I can get away without using my stand off. Which only adds to the weight of the ladders. My ladders are reasonability Light at 10kg... They are a three piece. I was thinking about get a two piece which adjusts to around 4.7m... the same as the 3 piece. This way I may find an even lighter ladder. I quite like the look of Aluminium Box Section style ladders such as Lyte, Youngman etc. They seem alittle more safer than the Abru ladders. Although, I am only thinking again lol.... I use a Pole with a Squeegee that has the coat hanger modification for detailing. I have seen lots of great videos online and everyone on this forum are very informative and give great advice.

I will carry on finding a way to make getting about that little easier. And go for more bungalows lol...

At the end of the day Window Cleaning is hard work. But, reminding myself that I'm not working for an employer anymore makes it all feel worthwhile....

I have attached a picture of me and my trolley's!!!

View attachment 2561

Funny enough I passed a young looking window cleaner today carrying a triple shortish ladder with a backpack on his back for his gear and a telescopic short pole sticking out of it. That must be ideal for him if he has a very compact round but after saying that I do like your trailer setups @rjacandwc :thumbsup:

Funny enough I passed a young looking window cleaner today carrying a triple shortish ladder with a backpack on his back for his gear and a telescopic short pole sticking out of it. That must be ideal for him if he has a very compact round but after saying that I do like your trailer setups @rjacandwc :thumbsup:
Nowt to do with this thread, but I saw a trad cleaner last week in a road I do (never seen him before) and he was using triples on a 2 storey house. I thought, god that looks like hard work. As I drove past him I was going to stick my thumb up, but he didn't even bother looking my way the ignorant oik.

well i do a few of the neighbours but without my car i be lost...thank god mot time is over.....but i do begin to wonder when i see your set up, you really look :cool: rjacandwc, and the cost of keeping my car on the road....../emoticons/smile.png

Window cleaners used bikes way before cars as back then only the rich could afford a car. I commend anyone that gets around on a bike as this day and age the cost of running a vehicle be it a car or van is staggering.

Never know he might do loads of taller 2 or even 3 floor work on that route. At least if anyone asks "can you do my gutters whilst here" he knows his ladders would reach /emoticons/biggrin.png

Yeah. Stuff carrying those about all day!

How about these two but not sure if they use their cart for actual work as those ladders look rather dodgy to me :rolleyes:

Satellite

How about these two but not sure if they use their cart for actual work as those ladders look rather dodgy to me :rolleyes:
Satellite
This was the type of cart that I was talking about that the federation did a spread on, the window cleaner had it set up perfectly it looked very proffetional.

My ladders at a weight of just 10kg can feel heavy when I do a day on foot. I try to mix things up abit. Do a morning of houses and then hit a few bungalows, I only really use my trailer to transport my ladders to certain areas and then I will foot that area... I live in a town about 4 Miles Squared... U can slash your fuel costs by doing it this way. But, if you want to cover a larger area.. Villages etc a car/van is most defo needed. What I should do is get a Horse and Cart...... I could even sell bags of muck to me custy's lol

My ladders at a weight of just 10kg can feel heavy when I do a day on foot. I try to mix things up abit. Do a morning of houses and then hit a few bungalows, I only really use my trailer to transport my ladders to certain areas and then I will foot that area... I live in a town about 4 Miles Squared... U can slash your fuel costs by doing it this way. But, if you want to cover a larger area.. Villages etc a car/van is most defo needed. What I should do is get a Horse and Cart...... I could even sell bags of muck to me custy's lol
yeh sounds better than my car which nicely tells me how fast my fuel is going down.:rofl:

Back