Numbers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Paul, Feb 22, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paul

Paul Guest

Do you think a mobile number is enough or would you put a landline aswell or 0800 0845 type of thing?

I'm not planning on doing it when I first start but just thinking it looks a bit more professional.

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

I used to use a mobile, and to be fair most seem to offer a mobile number as well as a landline. However I just use a landline with an answer machine now.

I found that customers just tended to call you up constantly for stuff that they really didn't have to call you for. I get all my emails to my phone, so can handle enquires from the website on the go as and when I have the time.

3. Paul

Paul Guest

So do you find people ( new enquiries) tend to leave messages ?

4. laddergarder

In fairness I get a few who don't, only way I know is that I don't answer it when I am in the house either :) however allot of the time when I do 118, this ones who don't answer have a withheld number. So I think that its mostly telemarketers than hang up.

That is really another problem when you use your landline really, your number is out there on a lot of directories etc, and you do get al sorts calling you. I know one window cleaner that runs around with a bluetooth headset constantly attached to his ear, there really should be a need for that for a window cleaner.

I guess its just down to personal choice, there are pro's and con's to both. Another advantage to calling people back in the evening, is that I ask that they leave there name, address and telephone number. So if you are going out to give someone a quote, then you know exactly who you a dealing with.

You can also weed out the troublesome customers, I have had customers in the past that have been an absolute headache, and eventually just dropped them. They then leave a few messages, which I ignore. Personally I wouldn't want to have to deal with these customers over the phone while I am out working, possibly in front of another customer.

I dont think I would use the 0800 numbers thing, I have looked at it before, and when you are just starting out you do want to look as professional as possible, but having a local landline number can be a selling point as well, you are a local business that wont let them down, not a profit hungry corporation, your a guy will smile at them when you pass them in tesco's.

5. James

James Guru

I just use a mobile. I've put my landline on my van, facebook page etc, but most people just ring me directly via my mobile. I've only ever had one person ring my landline. I guess having an answering machine would be pretty handy as you could just get to it whenever your ready and sort it out.

James.

Advertisement