Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Snail Trails On Glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Podrikk007

Just done a house and there was a huge snail on the upstairs window. I nocked it off, but the downstairs windows were covered in trail marks. And they don't come off very well with wfp. Any ideas? Don't say trad. Haha.

If you brush them and brush them they will come off i experience no real difference between the two methods in removing the trails.

Just rub continuously quickly for 5seconds and then rinse and look.

they are a pain in the back side for wfp, like masons said, extra scrub, and if they still dont move that well i have used a little ciff on my brush. if you use this make sure you rise well and get rid of the ciff off the window otherwise you will get a call back!!!!

They don't usually bother me, sometimes come off a bit easier if you follow the path I find, only a bit tough if it's deep sills and round the edges, or upstairs, but fortunately you don't get too many upstairs as there's not usually anything there for them

Try changing your brush; use a (more) absorbent filament.

Snail’s trails on the glass can be removed instantly with one or two strokes, when you use the right brush

Richard

The differences between two brushes can be small, medium or big.

There’s little point in changing the brush to clean snail trails with an identical brush filament, but with a different trim finish.

Using ciff or similar just to remove snail trails - which are very quick and easy to clean - from the glass is said in jest I hope, that’s the kind of thing you’ll expect the home-owner to do.

Richard

no its not said in jest, its quicker to pick up a bottle of ciff than take pole back to van, undo brush head, put diffrent brush head on then walk back to the window and do it!

or put it another way, go out and buy one of the tecbuk brushes that start from £44.95 up to £59.95 over the cost of other things that do it from 99p! im sorry i know what i would do!

Rcproperty, I didn’t mean it to sound like I was having a dig at you, if it’s quicker for you to do it this way - then continue to do it. But it would never be quicker for me.

As for Tecbuk brushes - I recommend changing the Tecbuk brush stock once it has earned approximately £15k, give or take a few thousands depending on the work type, or roughly about 350-400 time the cost of the brush stock.

Some Tecbuk customers do use the main brush all year (Tecbuk brushes can last many years) because window cleaning is a service based on time, I recommend replacing the main brush stock sooner rather than later, other brushes like the Tecbuk Nylon initial clean brush and Boars hair brush should last a number of years as they can be used less frequently.

I have no idea how much money you can make out of a £0.99p bottle of CIF; this kind of approach is not something I do for speeding up the cleaning method for wfp

Richard

its ok richard, i didnt take it as a dig or anyhitng, just saying thats all, when you are out working all the time, time is money, so using cif or something like that has many uses, like gettin stains off upvc frames etc so its always there.

what is needed is just one all round good brush for cleaning, not on for 1st clean, one for something else and another of something else, thats where it gets costly for the average window cleaner,

I understand more than most about having ‘one all round good brush for cleaning’ as a brush manufacturer I have made many prototypes brushes, the result is all the brushes can clean - but the issue is really about the difference in time it takes to clean.

So basically it can’t be done with a single brush, because the work and the types of dirt is one of the other main factor that has to be considered, (the cleaning method is the other)

I make one size of brush, with 3 very different types of bristle and a 4th brush which is the only genuine wfp Hybrid brush offering real time savings. There are also 3 different trim finishes. Relatively a small combination of brushes to cover a wide variety of work and dirt

Depending on what the other 2 factors are using the correct brush will speed up cleaning time. This ultimately means you can price more competitively and still achieve a greater margin than your higher priced competitors. The outcome is it is very easy to win low rise commercial work, but only worth it, if you can work much more efficiently and the wfp brush plays an important role in this.

Richard

I don’t have a physical shop, but I will have an ecommerce shop very soon and I also delivery locally.

There a number of pictures you can look at; I don’t send out sample brushes, it is only a brush and it’s not an expensive purchase compared to other wfp equipment.

I have been selling the Tecbuk brushes since 2010 from that time I have had one brush returned, the customer brought the wrong brush a - Boars Hair Brush – which I don’t recommend for regular maintenance cleans. The only other incident is a window cleaner damaged the thread on his brush, but he did manage to fix it himself.

Technically a 100% record; Tecbuk brushes are exceptionally well made and do work faster than any other brush, how they are used is down to the operator.

The brushes have been described as over engineered, this also makes them great value for money, to give you some idea of the value, the cost to me for the fixed scraper brush head is more than some of the cheaply made fully jetted brushes you can buy, I know this for a fact because I have had some made overseas at a cost of around £1.50 (that price is with an 115% mark-up for the importer).

The price/cost isn’t really the issue but the quality and how the brush performs is - and I won’t compromise on either - as I use the brushes for window cleaning myself and this impacts on my earnings.

Richard

thats a shame you dont have a shop or something like it or even just a sample of each one, i always like to feel brushes before i buy, especially if they are over £25! just like to know what im buying.

Back