Old Leaded Windows?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by vespawho, Jun 21, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. vespawho

vespawho Active Member

Had a call tonight to look at a job on monday, she said that 80% of the windows are old style leaded. Asked how i clean and said WFP....she is worried that the water will go through. I have cleaned trad and wfp leaded windows and been ok but.....

I get the impression they are not in the best condition, will see on monday.

Do any of you do any that are really old and the lead is getting a bit suspect? Will they leak?

If they are that bad then doing trad way would be just as bad from the point of putting pressure on them?

Advertisement
  2. Posh

Posh Hero

Bit of glass spray(a good one) & a buff should be fine. I have a old house I do with old lead & this is all I do & they come out fine.

3. vespawho

vespawho Active Member

When you say glass spray Posh do you mean the ones you buy at the supermarket?
    What cloth do you use? Scrim?

4. Posh

Posh Hero

Yeah. At the mo I'm using flash window spray & it's brilliant. I also use astonish tile & window cleaner which I found good. Just spray a small amount & buff. Lead comes up nice to. I use a window micro cloth to buff up.

5. vespawho

vespawho Active Member

ok cool thanks for that.
    I was only ever shown wiping over with a soapy old applicator sleeve and then buff with scrim....hated doing them! lol

I guess you charge bit more for it as takes time?

6. OoO

OoO Guest

I do two pubs wfp and they both leak. Old leaded windows. I'm lazy so wont buff.

7. Posh

Posh Hero

Yeah I do charge a bit more but not much.

Lazy sod Damo lol

8. vespawho

vespawho Active Member

As this is a house she dont want leaks! ....oh well, see what its like, might be a challenge to get my ladders off

9. mark m

mark m Hero

most of my work is old houses i use a Gardeners extreme brush for the outsides then if it leaks just spray the window with pure water and buff with a micro fibre cloth

10. Knoxy

Knoxy Well-Known Member

I'm the same as Mark, just use a spray bottle filled with pure water and buff with a micro fibre cloth.

Advertisement