Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Decided to take the plunge into wfp but a bit confused about what to buy.

Adams0211

hi

I've been tradding for a while now and have been thinking for a couple of months about getting a backpack/trolley system to help me with my round and as a way of dipping my toes into wfp. I was chatting to Daveyboy yesterday (he's been a massive help) and have decided to take the plunge. Now I'm a bit confused about what's what and what's best to buy.

I don't feel confident making a DIY jobbie so I'm leaning towards the gardiner backpack and getting myself a sack barrow to mount it on. Is there any other back packs worth considering? I looked at the facelift one but the gardiner seems the better option to me.

The part i'm finding confusing is which pole to go for. I've read over and over again to buy the best pole you can afford. I've got a lot to pay out over the next couple of months so funds are limited. I'm leaning towards the SLX18 at the moment. I know i'll need a longer one eventually but the SLX18 will be fine for 99% of what i do and i can buy an extension when i'm a bit more flush. Is there anything else i should be considering or any other advice?

The bit i'm finding most confusing is the various options to choose from when ordering from the Gardiner site. I need to choose which gooseneck, which hose, which hose connector type and which brush. As a newbie it's proper confusing. What would you recommend to go for as a good all rounder for a newbie?

I can buy water near me so that's not a problem and i'll need a few more drums which is easy to sort out. Am i missing anything else?

Any help is really appreciated and a massive thanks to Daveyboy for his help so far.

No worries Neil

I'm in 2 minds about what pole to advise also

My fibreglass one is ok and people.like @Diwrnach started with one but anyone who has swapped to carbon has said the difference is like chalk and cheese but it costs more

Slx18 will reach all normal houses but you won't be able to do 3 story work,

So bare that in mind, you could get the clx 26, to cover all bases till funds allow, it's a carbon fibreglass mix, and isn't ideal but a good all rounder if your on a budget...

You then choose the quickloq gooseneck, that basically means you can swap brushes whenever you want easily,

Then the best all round brush would be the supreme medium mixed hybrid,

As for connections, you want rectus 21 fittings, (called 'easy snap' on the Gardiner website) so select the male 'easy snap' for the pole hose, then you need to buy a rectus 21 female to go on your backpack hose reel/hose to connect it too.

You can do it the other way round like me, I have the male end on my 100m hose, and the female end on my poles, it all depends on what works for you.. The only reason I do it that way round, is because the female part when unplugged, stops any water leaking through It, so when I change poles (which I do often) water doesn't go all over the van when I'm driving about...

Cheers Jake. That make things a lot clearer. I don't do any three storey work at the moment. I've always kept away from it because i don't like working at that height on a ladder. Going (part) wfp will give me the option to start doing three storeys eventually but it's not something i'm really bothered about at the moment. Am i best of ordering direct from Gardiner or are there savings to be found elsewhere?

Defo direct from Gardner mate, best price and best service,

Defo go for he slx18 then mate, or if you can afford it, the slx25 as that would mean you could do 3 story work straight away...

You could even go for the clx18, as at that height, it's less essential that its rigid and light... That'd save you a fair whack!

But carbon is the best, but mainly over 25'

You could even go for the clx18, as at that height, it's less essential that its rigid and light... That'd save you a fair whack!
But carbon is the best, but mainly over 25'
I did look at the CLX18 but wasn't sure if that was a good option. There's hardly any difference in weight between the CLX and SLX but i know there's more to it than that. Rigidity and stuff like that. I saw a video on youtube comparing the two and noticed the difference in bounce between them. The SLX bounces (is that the right word?) a lot less than the CLX. I guess getting the SLX sort of future-proofs me a bit too. A SLX with an extension (when i get one) will be better long term than spending a bit less now on the CLX and then having to buy an extension, finding it harder to work with and then buying an SLX anyway. Does that make sense?

Yeah sounds logical, go for the Slx and you won't be disappointed!

It would be better to buy an slx25 in the future though, as it's more practical having two poles, and easier to swap them over depending on the house...

Cheers Jake. Just trying to get my head around it all now and add everything i need to my cart on the gardiner site. My mrs has said she'll get me everything I need as a birthday present so I need to get this right or i'll be faffing about trying to return stuff.

When i add the backpack to the cart it gives me the choice of End Connector. I take it the EZ Snap End Stop is the female part you referred to earlier?

And the do i need a gooseneck or angle adaptor for the pole?

I'm going to need hose too. Which is recommended?

Sorry for all the noob questions. I really appreciate the advice you're giving me.

Yeah easy snap female for the backpack mate,

Don't know why it doesn't say 'female' but I'm sure that's the one,

'End stop'

It's definitely daunting. I wish there was somewhere near me that i could walk into and have a good look around and get advice. I've no doubt that i'll be fine once i'm all set up. Just got to get it all ordered first!

You will need some sort of water flow device, to stop the water when you don't want to use it (between windows etc)

So you can order a tap from Gardiners...

All the different makes etc are all basically the same thing..pump..battery..pole..brush and water

Once you see how it works you'll understand it easily

As i said if you want to try it pop round..i know it's only a cheap fibreglass pole etc but it works the same to try it

You will need some sort of water flow device, to stop the water when you don't want to use it (between windows etc)
So you can order a tap from Gardiners...
Is it worth selecting the flow valve with the pole for an extra £9.50 or is that something different?

Cheers Dave. I think i'll take you up on that offer. Would be good to meet properly at last too. I've got a busy week this week as i'm taking monday off to go to some maternity appointments with the mrs but will try to give you a shout towards the end of the week.

Latest Posts

Back