Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

weird

WCF

Help Support WCF:

While those variables do make a difference, most of us have very similar gear, the vast majority use the same shirflo pump and usually 8mm minibore, and almost everyone has the same spring controller, in fact I never seen a window cleaner round my way without the standard 0-99 spring controller... Of course it's always rebranded from the retailer, but the digital ones are all the same...
But yeah there are a few things that can make a difference... 3mm jets have been an absolute Gem for me, much better rinsing!
almost everyone may have the same controller, but the controllers irrelevant, 100 is full 0 is closed anything else in between in is a percentage of open.

it all depends on pump and the variables i listed.

the only true way to test how much flow rate you are using is to measure it in litres per minute and pressure at the brush head.

but i digress, the main point you made was more flow is better and i am in agreement thats why i have mine as high as it goes, combined with the aquadapter i find i can use about 10l on typical semi.

i used 4mm jets before when i did a diy brush and that had some serious flow, didnt have it long and cant remember what it was like i might have to make another

Yeah but must people have the same shurflo pump as well Adam, that's why i said its all pretty similar...

4mm jets, that's 8mm of hole, with a 5 mm pole hose :eek:

I don't like fans after trying a friends so could have 2mm and 3mm in the brush instead of pencils and fans
You'll prob end up with just 3mm Dave, nice thick flow!

i can hold the brush 3 feet away fron the glass and it still hits the glass in summer when the hose is soft it will bild up pressure an squart 5 meters lol if u turn off at brush then wate for the pump to stop
Hold it back a distance from the window when you turn it back on

I dont have a flow controller on my trolley, i do actually have one in the shed but havnt added it on as i think my speed is fine, dont know if i should add it or not.

Maybe its too high and i need to turn it down a little bit, i do like it fast though

Mark where did you get the trolley from that you used on the utube trolley vids?

I'm after another trolley and that looks perfect

I tried the 3mm jets today... I had to turn up the flow and the cut off pressure, so it defeats the purpose, yes it is quicker to rinse, but it also uses more water (especially if you leave flow on while scrubbing..) and as soon as i had a window with lots of dirt on it (like bits that stick) i didn't have the same ability as with 2mm ones, i couldn't 'jet wash' them off. So eventually I changed back to the 2mm ones, which i'm already quite fast with.

I'm not saying it won't work for someone else, as @adamangler says we all have different setups with multiple variables: i have 100m microbore (not mini) so maybe that makes a difference

I agree it's cheap to buy from Gardiner, that's why I gave them a try.

Might be your microbore hose that stops the water from flowing well to the 3mm jets,

But yeah you need good flow, but I was already on 75 on the flow controller with 2mm so I've Kept it the same, it's now speeding me up with less water used as the rinse is faster

I tried the 3mm jets today... I had to turn up the flow and the cut off pressure, so it defeats the purpose, yes it is quicker to rinse, but it also uses more water (especially if you leave flow on while scrubbing..) and as soon as i had a window with lots of dirt on it (like bits that stick) i didn't have the same ability as with 2mm ones, i couldn't 'jet wash' them off. So eventually I changed back to the 2mm ones, which i'm already quite fast with.I'm not saying it won't work for someone else, as @adamangler says we all have different setups with multiple variables: i have 100m microbore (not mini) so maybe that makes a difference

I agree it's cheap to buy from Gardiner, that's why I gave them a try.
We found the same with 3mm jets. They are twice the size of the 2mm jets (if memory serves me from one of Alex's posts once) and we wasted too much water in the scrubbing phase.

We found that the washing/scrubbing phase was probably 90% or more of the clean where the rinse was the remainder with 3mm jets.

In those days minbore and micrbore hoses weren't available for window cleaners so we used 1/2" hose without controllers. Using microbore will reduce water flow as it will act as a restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's what I said spruce, the hose makes a difference, cos I'm using the same flow on the pump controller with 3mm that I was with 2mm, and I'm saving water, so it must depend on hose and pump etc...

@Jonathan Sanderson

I've been getting nearly 2 houses out of a 25l drum now my flow is up..woohoo

Theres the cost of water to factor in also, faster flow, quicker cleaning but may cost you more in water. if the cost of your water is high to produce using less flow and taking longer using less water may be just as economical time wise if you get me.

That's true Adam but my original point was that by turning my flow up i am cleaning quicker and actually using less water per house

If a window needs a good scrub i usually kink the pipe in my hand and give it a good scrub before turning the water back on to finish off so i don't use much to scrub it and maintenance cleans it takes seconds to scrub a window as most of the time is spent rinsing

Now the flow is up i rinse quicker rather than wasting water trying to rinse well with a trickle

It is costing me about 50p per house in water as i buy mine but all new jobs have an extra quid on what i would've quoted in the past to allow for water so on to a winner

@adamangler faster flow speeds up cleaning and saves water - that's the point were making,

It's actually far worse using a low flow as you spend so much longer rinsing, you end up using more water and wasting time, I learnt that myself, and since using high flow I'm saving an absolute tonne of water

I am happy with my 2mm at the mo as i reckon 3mm would emptya 225l drum quickly

2mm with the pressure high enough is great

As long as i don't go over about 60% it doesn't fire out but has a good amount of water flowing out

2mm is good Dave, 3mm is just great when you have a big tank and high flow as it stops the water splattering everywhere, so more of the water falls down the window which aids rinsing,

I found high flow with 2mm jets just sprays everywhere which creates a loss in water and thus, rinsing is reduced..

youre loving this wfp pole lark arnt you @daveyboy1 /emoticons/biggrin.png
I'm quite sad as i love anything to do with tools and techniques but yes i am loving the dark side

I still trad the odd bottoms here and there just to keep my hand in as i do love the skill of tradding perfectly same as now i love wfping perfectly

Back