Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can a Ford Fiesta Van safely support a two-section, heavy duty ladder?

DannyB

Hi everyone. I would love buying some old Fiesta Van for my tradding, because such vans are cheap and offer a car-like driving experience. But when I look at photos of Fiesta Vans, they seem to have large windscreens rising towards the roof under a very gradual angle, leaving relatively very small area for the horizontal surface of roof. Also the A-pillars between the windscreen and side windows look not only long, but also very narrow and potentially unstable. A two-section ladder with ankalad, along with a roof rack and a chain or some sort of security locking may altogether weigh up to 50 kilos, if not much more. I am not absolutely sure if it is not too much for the narrow a-pillars and surrounding window glass. Moreover, a large part of the ladder would have to overhang over the large and very gradual windscreen, which would create a safety risk for the windscreen whenever I'm taking the ladder down off the roof or putting it back on the roof rack. Indeed, on the Internet I have so far found no photo of Fiesta Van with any sort of ladder on its roof at all. But on the other hand, I have found some sporadic mentions of Fiesta Vans' use in the trad window cleaning in this very forum, as well as some sporadic mentions of mounting ladders on Fiesta Vans on the Internet. Has anyone got any own or second hand experience of carrying ladders on Fiesta Van roofs, or of using Fiesta Vans in the trad window cleaning in general? Any piece of advice will be most appreciated.

ive defo seen fiestas carrying ladders in this trade , usually a double 10/12 rung and an A frame 7 rung sitting alongside it

50 kilos one ladder, no way. A 3 section 8 rung ladder usually weighs 15-20kg. i wouldnt worry at all. fyi i carry the ladder i discribed on a Citigo + stepladder no problems at all.

I dont really see how you could damage the windscreen either unless you are loading from the front of the car.

View attachment 5083

To give you an example of what i talk about.

Unloading the ladder from the driver side (left side) easy and can not damage the windscreen at all.

Car roughly same size as a fiesta

Would have thought that a fiesta would be a bit small but thinking about it there's a windie down here who drives around in one.

I have always liked 'big stuff'......that makes lots of noise and is generally indestructible /emoticons/wink.png

I get the impression @DannyB that your... Let's say... A very cautious man!

Don't even think about it mate, just shove the ladders on and crack on, they could probably easily take 200kg plus on a roof rack - easily! It's structural support, and by modern day standards a car needs to be solid...

View attachment 5084

Ive got a clio van with two sets of ladders on mine and a six foot A frame ladder too

had no problems never been pulled, works brill.

i also pull a ERDE trailer with two sets of ladders and steps on it ....

No problems at all

View attachment 5939" you can get your ladders on anything",years ago; I used heavy ladders & more- on the old style minis,mini vans etc,when they were as cheap as chips.you had no choice then(I was 18).sometimes you can over think things.just get a roof rack & chuck em on.

12227752_1625003011095026_1755675262936717383_n.jpg

Back