Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rags And Microfibre Cloths, What To Do After They Have Been Used?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

buzzing

Have attached pictures of my rags and microfirbre cloths. My rags are too small, right? The microfibre (green ones) get really dirty as I do detailing I dry the frames slightly and they pick up some dirt. What should I do with them? wash after been used once in a hot wash? or just dry them on the line? Are all these rags and cloths thrown in a hot wash together?

View attachment 617

View attachment 618

A lot of the black marks like that on mine are caused by the rubber at the edge of the glass, the seal. Generally it doesn' come out. I ignore it, doesnt affect the towel just stains/dyes it a bit. I chuck mine in the wash once or twice a week but thats about it.

hey Buzzing

Yes your rags are a bit small, but it is personal preference at the end of the day, trouble with the smaller rags is they get soaked too quickly, i personally use a super absorbent drying towel (78cm by 59cm) basicly its a large fluffy microfibre, it absorbs 8 times its weight in water, its fantastic on frames and handy to mop up the odd bit of spillage/run off. i have a carpenters hammer holder on my belt and these towels fit great on there and are easy to get on and off quickly.

Never use your detailing cloths for anything other than detailing the glass, i personally have gone back to heavy duty scrims for normal windows, i throw mine in washing machine once a week with a little powder and a cap of napisan stain remover.

Good luck with your business and it's nice to see that you care if your doing the right thing...

With my clothes I just put then on rinse cycle on the washing machine and then tumble dry them after. If they get dirty I just put them on a 40 degree wash.

A lot of the black marks like that on mine are caused by the rubber at the edge of the glass, the seal. Generally it doesn' come out. I ignore it, doesnt affect the towel just stains/dyes it a bit. I chuck mine in the wash once or twice a week but thats about it.
This doesnt work for me, when the start to get wet the tend to leek out black stuff now and again. I put them on a hot wash and it get the majority of it out

Use washing powder though, right? In the hot wash? I only have done two houses, so what's the point washing just the few I used lol

Do you put the microfibe cloths and rags in same wash?

I never use any added powder or soap, there will be enough on the dirty cloths, nor do I mix rags with microfiber.

Use washing powder though, right? In the hot wash? I only have done two houses, so what's the point washing just the few I used lol

Do you put the microfibe cloths and rags in same wash?
They say not to use washing powder to wash them in, but I have used a little bit at times and all fine.

I wash my microfibre clothes with my applicator sleeve.

I can't believe any today uses scrims!! Microfibre cloths are not really for mopping up are they? I have some but rarely use them. I used good quality hand towels (50 x 100 @ £2.30) cut in half. They soak up realy well, as soon as they're too wet I put them aside and start a new one. At the end of each day I put them in soak in a large bucket of cold water and a squib of bleach. Depending on how many there are, I might leave them 'til the next day. I have a spin drier, and five minutes in that they come out damp, and I hang them out to dry. I used to use alot years ago when I had someone working for me, but now I have a different system and don't use too many. I have about 50 at the moment.

so you throw the microfibres into a different wash to the rags, and you put no washing liquid in the washing machine? Just wash them only in water?

i use those dust sheets they sell in B&Q the runners they use for stairs you get about 12 good size clothes out of them, when used put them on a boil wash in the machine witha drop of bleach and a bit of DAZ as above never put fabric conditioner or softerner on your window cloths it leaves a none absorbent film on them.

so you throw the microfibres into a different wash to the rags, and you put no washing liquid in the washing machine? Just wash them only in water?
I stick them all in (rags/scrim/microfibres) on a quick wash with a bit of washing powder. Does me fine.

I... Dont wash mine nearly as much as I should anymore! But I hardly use them - dogeared squeegees...

Cloths absorb in the same way as cloth nappies do.

So washing is the same although you don't need to wash rags and clothes after each use, just make sure you ring them out.

For washing, I would stick em all in the machin with no more than 25ml of powder and if really dirty, some napi San or fairy squirted into the machine, once the wash is almost finished, if I still see bubbles then its another rinse untill all bubbles gone, I they are not fully rinised then they won't work properly.

It's a good idea to do a 'strip' wash every 3-6months depending on usage.

This consists of a normal wash and then put it on a hot wash with a cheapo wilkinsona type dishwasher tablet, this will strip all contaminants and excess powder out of the towels/rags and if rinsed thorough will make them absorb so much more

/emoticons/smile.png

When washing scrim or microfibre NEVER NEVER use fabric conditioner.
Now that is so true... We had some inside windows to clean (block apartments) I took out my scrim to wipe the sill and a bit of drip here and there , and boy i was left with awful marks on the glass which took me ages to wipe off. All you do is wipe, and wipe and wipe, and wipe...

Said to my mate my wife as only washed my scrims with fabric conditioner... he laughed away until he got his scrims out, his mother had done the same thing. That was one of the worse days of my life.. two hour job took almost 4 hours.

I don't do much blading (its all wfp) just odd job here and there.

The moral of the story... "DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER WITH YOUR SCRIMS"

I ALWAYS wash then with a squirt of washing up liquid, nothing else.

If they are really bad, napisan will do the job, make sure they are properly rinised

Back