pencil or fan jet?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by sweetercleanz, Mar 16, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. pencil or fan jet? what do you prefer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
  2. nearlyclean

Supplier

I prefer Fan jets,both have there uses.you get a more direct flow with pencils,with Fans the water is spread out more and rinses the brush and works better on hydrophobic glass (self cleaning glass) and rinse on the glass making it easier to clean at height(try lifting a brush off the glass to rinse off at 40 feet plus)it worth having one of each brush

3. maximus

maximus Guest

Im planning on starting using wfp soon, so I'd be interested what people say about this. My father in law prefers pencil jets-apparently fan jets can end up shooting water all down the frame.

4. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

I have heard this also and in wind can blow everywhere, but some also say you can rinse with the brush on glass with fans although I am not sure I would feel confident doing that. I am planning to get some fans but still have not got around to it.

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

Rinsing on the glass is okay with a monofilament brush [​IMG]
    this is what I use with fan jets and have had no problems with it rinsing on the glass.
    It is probably a good idea to keep one with fans and one with pencils.
    I never liked pencil jets and only use fan jets,I have no problem with frames or spraying in places I dont want water to go.The windows dry quicker,I find I use less water and less time rinsing using fan jets.
    When rinsing with fan jets on the glass I found the technique is to hold the brush 2 inches from top of frame and let the water flow out of the brush moving from side to side along the top of the window a couple of times then slowly snake the brush down the window to the sill

6. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

How do you ind them on first cleans or really dirty windows? are they better than pencils as you can spread water more or pencils better for first cleans?

7. nearlyclean

Supplier

Did a one off this morning,filthy dirt all over frames,came up lovely and not much effort with this brush and Fan jet combo,I don't use pencil jets any more as the fan jets suits my cleaning technique,I always clean once with a little detergent on the brush,quick rinse off and then went over them again like a second clean
    with Pencil jets I could get a window 85% clean on a first pass and then 98% on the second pass,I would sometimes do them a third.
    I am confident that on the first pass with fans the window will be 90% clean and on the second 100%
    Even Traditional I couldn't do a first clean this good without two buckets (one clean for rinsing and the other for detergent)and up a ladder would mean several climbs

Advertisement