Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Percentage & Dilution ratios?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Neilmnwc

Can/will anyone point me in the right direction to calculate the mix for any given percentage and dilution ratio please?  I've been using Benz BW, but have decided to mix my own.  Nothing wrong at all with Benz, just thought I'd try reducing my outlay.

I'd be using 15% Hypo from Bonneymans and mixing with 20Litres water.

Its to clean painted walls of a house that are relatively lightly soiled.

I'm not even going to chance it unless I'm 100% happy mixing my own up, just thought I'd ask.

Cheers.

Neil if it's the same size barrels I get from Bonney 25 litre then 20 ltrs of water won't be anywhere near enough.
Start low 5 parts water (always add chems to water and not the other way around) 1 part hypo.
Tbf you want to add surfactant to your neat hypo before you start mixing.

But most important! Have you got all the PPE needed to handle chemicals?

There'll be a forum sigh not PPE again

Just putting it out there Neil.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

As post above good advice on ppe : we use 15%strength hypo and put 4 parts water to 1 part hypo for most things but start weak and make it a bit stronger if nessasary use a brush to adjitate the mix on the walls leave to dwell for up to 45 muinits then light scrub and rinse job done , if there are still any stubborn marks re apply hypo mix and repeat untill clean 

Neil if it's the same size barrels I get from Bonney 25 litre then 20 ltrs of water won't be anywhere near enough.
Start low 5 parts water (always add chems to water and not the other way around) 1 part hypo.
Tbf you want to add surfactant to your neat hypo before you start mixing.

But most important! Have you got all the PPE needed to handle chemicals?

There'll be a forum sigh not PPE again

Just putting it out there Neil.

Cheers, I have got PPE. Rubber chemical resistant gauntlets, full face mask and correctly rated respirator. Clothing wise full nylon and rubber boots.

I’m not noted for being a chancer or winging it so if I’ve missed anything let me know.

I’d expected to have to refill several times over and will use your guide. Thanks.

Seems you've looked into this by getting the required PPE before you start. Just one more thing though I would recommend you invest in some chem socks to stop run off going onto areas you don't want it to go etc.
Forward thinking is the main thing
What if etc etc so always have everything you need in case a what if happens.
Good luck pal

5.3 litres of 15% hypo in a 20l barrel and then filled to full with water is a 4% mix which is good for patios etc

2.6l hypo and the rest water will make a 2% mix which is good for render etc

What is the correct respirator to buy? (what is the rating) i’m slowly piecing together all the necessary stuff and have everything except a respirator. I have chemical gloves, full face visor, waterproofs and water proof boots + yellow warning signs.
Also planning on using benz. I see a lot of operators in youtube videos not using respirators, Including some pretty big contractors which rather surprised me. Am I missing something? (e.g. a respirator is only needed when “mixing” and not necessary when “applying”?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

This is the one I have. It might be overkill in terms of vapours, but I’d rather that than not enough.

it is rated for chlorine gas.

when I wear it you cannot smell anything. It’ll rely on a good deal around the face to work effectively .

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one I have. It might be overkill in terms of vapours, but I’d rather that than not enough.
it is rated for chlorine gas.

when I wear it you cannot smell anything. It’ll rely on a good deal around the face to work effectively .
The thing is with that I would never fit the browguard and face shield over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the correct respirator to buy? (what is the rating) i’m slowly piecing together all the necessary stuff and have everything except a respirator. I have chemical gloves, full face visor, waterproofs and water proof boots + yellow warning signs.
Also planning on using benz. I see a lot of operators in youtube videos not using respirators, Including some pretty big contractors which rather surprised me. Am I missing something? (e.g. a respirator is only needed when “mixing” and not necessary when “applying”?

Regarding only needing mask when mixing!
Figures can state exactly what they like but for me personally if I clean without a mask you can guarantee in the very near future I'm getting a sore throat and slight wheezing but if a mask up I will feel fine.

Who knows. Might just be me but a mask is as important as glasses when it comes to PPE.

[emoji88] [emoji40] [emoji6]

I believe i have now found the correct mask to wear as stated by benz, they are in store at screwfix so i’ll be paying a visit. It looks like it will just about fit under a full face visor! Gonna be a tight squeeze though

[emoji106] Good on ya pal. Was pumping a day old quality sprayer once when BOOM.

The top housing just gave way which blew past my face followed by a cloud of vapoured chems before spewing liquid chems from my boots to my waist. An hour before I didn't have my face visor on. [emoji88]

Could of been an unseen crack in the pump for all I know but gave me the slap I needed to never underestimate the unpredictably of what ifs when using chemicals

So yeah Good on ya for getting suited n booted before a day at the office. [emoji110]

[emoji106] Good on ya pal. Was pumping a day old quality sprayer once when BOOM.

The top housing just gave way which blew past my face followed by a cloud of vapoured chems before spewing liquid chems from my boots to my waist. An hour before I didn't have my face visor on. [emoji88]

Could of been an unseen crack in the pump for all I know but gave me the slap I needed to never underestimate the unpredictably of what ifs when using chemicals

So yeah Good on ya for getting suited n booted before a day at the office. [emoji110]

Yeah man. Sounds like you had a very lucky escape! I’ll be using two old backpacks to start with. The batteries are deteriorated to the point they no longer hold enough charge to get a window round done. I only get about an hour out of them now. I generally just replace backpacks now once they’ve had 18 months or so, as when either the pump or battery goes the other components generally start wearing away. So i’ll be glad to see them through right to the end of their lives by using them for softwashing. Probably someone less risky than a manual pump sprayer!.

Back