Perplexed new starter

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by Ryskviking, Nov 21, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Ryskviking

Ryskviking Member

Gentlemen,

Currently am starting my round from scratch and need your advice as things don't seem to go as expected. I'm not completely new to window cleaning - did it for nearly 2 years 4 years ago and stupidly sold my round being spooked by the harsh winter with snow and freezing conditions.

Now I'm starting anew, and as I cannot afford buying a round I need to canvass it up from scratch (doing my cleaning with a blade and a ladder).
    I do not expect everybody I meet to agree their windows being cleaned - but reading your posts I find myself in a state of confusion.
    Seems that people here can easily canvass up up to £60 or more within few hours, but in the last 3 days I've spent around 12 hours of knocking/asking and all I've got is £20 clean and a few weak "maybes".

I've tried a really old village, 18 years old estate as well as brand new houses - in all cases it either "no", "we have a cleaner" or (rarely) "we will think".

I'm confused. Few years ago canvassing was ever so easy - seem that every few houses there would be a willing customer waiting - and that was during recession!

Now it seem as if all houses are taken. I really want to get into this business as I love being out and about and being my own boss, increasing my salary at my own pace, but so far it is only frustration.

I live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire area (200k inhabitants) plus villages, so no lack of windows to clean. Or so I would like to think.

Are those times of window cleaning gone now? Too many window cleaners? What am I doing wrong?

Any sensible advice is welcome!

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

Welcome matey. :thumbsup:

Window cleaners are 10 a penny these days, but the good news is that decent ones are rare,so theres still plenty of work to be had. Its a tough time of year to be looking for work, so don't be downhearted, just keep pushing. I'm a cambridge lad, so not too far from you. If you need anything just ask.

3. Ryskviking

Ryskviking Member

Thank you for your welcoming message!

Yes, this is probably the worst time of the year to start window cleaning business, and the sound of a rain behind the window only confirms that.

:thumbsup:

4. cheapncheerful

ask ukip....:D hi and welcome

Ryskviking.....these have been very very strange times so perhaps your right...but sooner or later....you will get there...every business has to take a first step....keep plugging away...i think a certain other member has most of cambridgeshire on his books:rolleyes:

5. TolishAPurd

Wheresyour avi pic taken? Looks like the lake district.

6. Ryskviking

Ryskviking Member

Hope not, certainly so. I wonder if it is just me this "lucky" at canvassing or is it like that across the whole isle nowadays?

7. Ryskviking

Ryskviking Member

Kinder Scout. Took a dip in a small lake on top of the mountain too. Think I've qualified to be a window cleaner after such shenanigans.

8. cheapncheerful

i dont canvass at present much...but i deliver 250 magazines every two weeks with the wife and if i see dirty windows in goes a card.....i usually find about 4 in every 250...and yes i do move around the area....and i have just had five jobs....months later....well four and one interested.....so it takes time...:D

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Maybe just a bad area
    Try moving half a mile and see what response you get
    60 quid is realistic but so is 100 or bugger all
    Luck of the draw on the day

And welcome fella

10. Ryskviking

Ryskviking Member

Thank you, David.

Village, 18 years old estate and brand new houses are miles and miles apart - and that's what puzzles me. Looks like every street is covered.

Advertisement