Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Booster pumps

Vaughany90

Hi I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me please.

I have a Prf ro purchased recently its been very good except for 1 huge problem its producing waste water at the rate of x7.5 the amount of pure. I have a pressure gauge fitted which is showing about 38 psi the system needs 80psi I believe to work efficiently so I know this needs improving. I have an aquatec booster pump that I had already I have fitted this and it makes no difference to pure or waste ratios.

It is rated at 100 psi am I missing something that separates these pumps from the more expensive £250 upwards price range ?

I have a more expensive clarke booster pump, check out my previous post, there photos of my set up as well and you will see this differance in size compared to yours. I am no expert on your booster pump but from your description, it is more of the type of pump which is used to pump water from the tank to the pole, What you could do to see what psi/bar you pump is producing into the ro, is to fit a pressure gauge between your pump and ro, and that will give you the psi/bar reading.

There is a difference between pressure and flow @Vaughany90. Just because you have a booster pump that's rated at 100 psi doesn't mean that it can pump enough volume of water at that pressure.

The Aquatec pump is will work for small r/o's up to 450GPD.

You need a bigger booster pump. This is why Gardiners sell them.

Switched Booster Pump Kit - 240v for PRF-RO systems - Booster Pumps - Water Treatment - Pure Water Systems - All Products Gardiner Pole Systems

My first question is; do you know what your water pressure is? The second; what volume of water do you get at the r/o tap in liters per minute without to r/o connected up?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are sending that amount of waste to the drain it could be that the pressure you have might be a little higher.

I would email where you bought it from and ask what would happen if you throttled the waste back a bit with a tap. ( I wouldn't want to suggest something that could void your warranty.) I was thinking of something like this. I think those r/o's have 3/8 tubing but you would need to make 100% sure.

John Guest Push-fit Shut Off Ball Water Valve / Tap - 1/4 3/8 1/2 6 8 10 12 15 | eBay

It is my experience with my 4040 that reducing the waste a bit will give you a little more pressure on the membranes and improve efficiency slightly. We have 50 psi which is at the very bottom of an HF5's membrane's working window. If I had my waste control valve open at 6 or 7 waste to 1 pure I would have very little pressure in my system and the efficiency would be terrible.

If you fit a tap you must always have water going to waste. You must never close the tap completely. A fellow windie a few streets away has an old Merlin (the PRF's predecessor) and he has throttled the waste back to give him a 1 to 1 waste to pure ratio with a tap. He has the same water pressure as we have, but we also have fairly soft water at 99 to 125ppm so can get away with that ratio.

The valve has taken 2 weeks to arrive but I have just fitted it and it has pushed the psi up to the 50 before it stopped making a difference. Which is a massive improvement also the waste is now only x2 the pure. So it's been a huge improvement so thanks very much.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

i have this pump working with the Merlin RO.
Switched Booster Pump Kit - 240v for PRF-RO systems - Booster Pumps - Water Treatment - Pure Water Systems - All Products Gardiner Pole Systems

i get 80 psi all day long, i can make over 100lt a hour, and i shut the waste of with a ball valve ratio of 1 to 1

Hi @craig at pure. "and i shut the waste of with a ball valve ratio of 1 to 1"

Did you mean that you shut the pure off with a ball valve? /emoticons/wink.png

The beauty of the PRF r/o is that you can use it with a ball valve into your tank. Once the ball valve shuts the flow when your storage tank is full, a mechanism inside the r/o switches the water coming into the r/o off automatically.

The electronic controller on the Gardiner pump will automatically sense the water has stopped and will switch the pump off. Together its a great bit of kit.

My personal opinion is that the it falls short on efficiency for the experience of a couple of local cleaners.

What is your tap water tds and your product water tds if you don't mind me asking @craig at pure? Also, how have you got that 1 to 1 ratio of waste to pure water? Is this just down to increased water pressure with the booster pump on?

Thanks

its a great bit of kit, and its fully auto, when i got the RO it was only making 1 pure to 2 waste. and i wasn't happy with that, so i emailed alex, he said to use a tap on the waste,then turn the tap into it makes a ratio of 1 to 1, which i did, my tap TDS its 280, and my RO TDS is 15, if the RO has been running for quite a few hours its drops to about 12.

The only down side was the price of the booster pump /emoticons/smile.png but well worth it,. there is cheaper booster pumps out there, but there not the same psi,. and you need 80psi to get the best out of the RO.

when the float valve drops in the tank the pump and RO kick in and start making pure water,

ive only had the setup for a few months,. but im looking at getting a 40/40 setup,

Back