Pole'ing big windows

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by TolishAPurd, Sep 5, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. TolishAPurd

I'm getting more and more tall glass to work on these days and would like to pole them. I am after a single section, 6ft (or thereabouts) pole, and a squeegee to compliment it.

I'm thinking of getting the unger unitec pole; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-Tel...eaning-/181317043276?var=&hash=item2a3756844c

....and the unger zero degree squeegee; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-Erg...e-FREE-SHIP-/131093849551?hash=item1e85cd65cf

Are these any good, or is there a better option out there? Pole has to be single section.

Advertisement
  2. Eric Gilliand

Eric Gilliand Well-Known Member

I used both of these items for about 4 years. Fitted with a 14" channel. A great combination for poling. I personally kept the pivot bolt reasonably loose and did primarily side pulls. The Optiloc can be a little problematic as the locking mechanism wears and soils inside the pole. Nothing more teeth gritting than having the pole at full stretch and it fails halfway through a pull. These days I use the top section/s of my Reach-it Mini with Wagtail flipper. The Wagtail is much better in my opinion, especially with a Liquidator channel on board...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. mark m

mark m Hero

Total Agree with Eric a wagtail flipper al the way

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

If you want to use 0° swiveloc take the screw bolt out and seperate the 2 halfs..file each of the interlocking edges and put back together
    Then it will allow you to fan on the end of the pole saving the hassle of straight pulls
    Wagtail is a lot easier but swiveloc did me for a long time

5. TolishAPurd

Cheers guys. I've already got a wagtail combi, its the 0 degree aspect I like the idea of. I did some straight pulls on these 9ft panels with my normal squeegee the yesterday and it was great,but it would be better if there was no angle on the squeegee. Nice tip on the mod dave.

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I have found they all swivel differently. .some feel tight and some are looser.
    I file them so that with the screw loose i can flip it side to side in my hand easily without the screw so loose the *** is about to fall off

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

for downstairs work my lads are equipped with a choice of 2 part Anza poles and 3 part Quickie poles . the 2 parter extends to about 6 foot and the 3 parter to about 8 foot . these are alloy poles, twist-to-lock ,the 3 parter being the more popular with my lads as its very well balanced
    Over the years iv always bought these in BnQ
    BUT in a recent visit to the store -i was stopped dead in my tracks -SH///T ,AFTER ALL THESE YEARS - BnQ HAVE DROPPED ANZA and an imposter brand of pole is now hanging on the shelves .

but the day was not a total dissapointment , a walk round Homebase i found theyve a half decent range of small alloy telescopics on sale

8. TolishAPurd

If I remember right, homebase stock all the blue unger gear? Not sure if there is any difference in quality to the green stuff we know and love though. Do you just use your wagtails on the end boar or something different?
    I've got all the swivel stuff in my basket at cleaning spot now and am about to pull the trigger. daveyboy1 does the swivelock squeegee take the regular notched channels?

9. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#9 boarcity, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
    alongside the blue Unger gear is a 3 parter homebase pole very similar to this kiddie . its the one to get because compared to the Unger poles its lighter and very nifty to use

this particular pole in the photos has been lost and found again many times a month later by my workers,its a firm favourite amongst me and the lads Photo-0025.jpg Photo-0024.jpg Photo-0023.jpg and is modified with self amalgamating tape grip + bike handlebar grip + Anza pole tip

wagtails work great with this 3 parter pole, very well balanced . i recently bought one of the homebase brand 3 parters ,to add to my stock its already gone missing,left somewhere on the round, bloomin annoying - hopefully will be found again laying on a garden bench or some such in coming weeks!

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Advertisement