Potential add on service for the business

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by mrtaytay, Jul 10, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Whilst cleaning an house today, a bloke turned up to kill off a wasps nest in the house roof. It took him 5 minutes then he came round to the front door to get paid. He was a friendly bloke and said to me "I cant believe you arent offering this service, you would make an absolute mint with all the houses you have". He then showed me how to kill a nest and told me about a company that offered a one day training course and told me where I could buy my kit from. He reckons you can make up to about 10 grand in the summer doing this. He charged my customer £78.00 for what was a 5 minute job. He said prices vary from about £65 - £110.00. He was actually a plumber and turned up in the plumbing companies van but did this work on the side.

I might have a look into this as it sounds like very easy money. I see wasps nests virtually every day at this time of the year. Has anyone had any experience of this trade.....I seem to recall that someone on the forum said they used to do this.

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Myself I'm against killing little critters no matter how much money you could make

3. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I know where you are coming from smurf. Despite what people think, wasps do have a purpose, and they certainly help out in the garden, but this lady was getting loads of them in her bedroom and bathroom and could see how they were getting in. She just wanted rid as do a lot of people.

4. RyanL

RyanL Member

I'm a qualified pestie and the wasps are easy money, although he's charging more than I would I still do alright out of it. Just never made enough on the other services, all sown up by the nationals, so only do the wasps now for a bit of extra cash. Company called Killgerm do good training and the kit will set you back about £200 to get started.
    You do need to be aware of the legal side which can get messy if things go wrong ( killing a pond of Koi by accident, that sort of thing) and you now have to have a waste carriers licence to dump your empty tubs etc.. Also just as we get splash and dash merchants lots of part time pesties will dust anything that moves and not all of it is legal. If you ever visit a pest control forum they hate windys who treat wasps and we're deemed as unprofessional as most will happily undercut them for cash.

5. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Cheers Ryan. Killgerm were the company that this bloke mentioned. He also warned me about the serious legal consequences of killing bees. I can imagine the qualifed pesties would be a bit peed off at windies offering this service, but it does make business sense to have this as an add on, so long as you do the job properly and charge the going rate.

6. RyanL

RyanL Member

Exactly, if you have the correct certification and do the correct risk assessments etc, follow the rules then your just the same as them in my eyes, if not better as the most famous national company are notorious for bad staff training and practices. Most Pesties rely on and build their businesses around contract work and Wasp season is a bonus, they just don't like to share! I keep my wasp kit in a separate sealed rub in the motor and if I get a call I'm there asap, people really like that as most are scared of the little buggers. I get most of my work through flyers in shop windows and the local paper so it costs next to nothing to advertise too.

7. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

This bloke told me that I just need to do the one day course......is this correct?. It seems a bit brief to me.

8. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i would think you could do well getting rid of the pests that dont go so easily. the repeat business might be a good earner .

9. RyanL

RyanL Member

Yep, it's a one day use of pesticides course that mainly covers the legal side and will get you certified to buy the good stuff!, I've done it myself and also recommend the invertebrate course that covers Wasps, Bed bugs, Fleas etc. can be good money in that too! Have a look here. http://www.killgerm.com/foundation_pest_control_training.php

10. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Many thanks Ryan

Advertisement