Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure switch keeps burning out

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Liamh2only

Hi guys.

So my pressure switch keeps burning out on my shurflo pump.

What could be causing this problem? and how can I prevent it?

Help would be much appreciated.

Liam

Hi guys.
So my pressure switch keeps burning out on my shurflo pump.

What could be causing this problem? and how can I prevent it?

Help would be much appreciated.

Liam
The most probable reason is that your pump is cycling on and off. For example; this will happen if you are using 2 LPM at the brush jets but you have a 5LPM pump running at full speed.

The pump will start and stop rather rapidly causing damage to the contact points off the switch.

The solution is to fit a controller that will slow the motor of the pump down. When its running at a pumping speed of 2LPM of water and you are using 2LPM at the brush head, then the pump will run continuously.

This is the reason why Spring and Varistream controllers are best suited for the job.

The other solution is to add a 40 amp 12v relay so the pressure switch activates the coil of the relay. As the coil uses very little current, using a relay will prolong the life of the microswitch in the Shurflo pump head.

5 X Car Truck Auto DC 12V 40A 40 AMP SPST Relay Relays 4 Pin 4P & Socket 4 Wire | eBay

You only need one of these but they are cheap and you will have some spares for future use.

Are you using the right replacement microswitch BTW?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This is a good point as I noticed the one often recommended is only rated at 6 amps. The right one is 15amps I believe. As these pumps often draw close to or above 6amps this might explain your problem especially if you're running it at a high flow rate.

This is a good point as I noticed the one often recommended is only rated at 6 amps. The right one is 15amps I believe. As these pumps often draw close to or above 6amps this might explain your problem especially if you're running it at a high flow rate.

The most probable reason is that your pump is cycling on and off. For example; this will happen if you are using 2 LPM at the brush jets but you have a 5LPM pump running at full speed.The pump will start and stop rather rapidly causing damage to the contact points off the switch.

The solution is to fit a controller that will slow the motor of the pump down. When its running at a pumping speed of 2LPM of water and you are using 2LPM at the brush head, then the pump will run continuously.

This is the reason why Spring and Varistream controllers are best suited for the job.

The other solution is to add a 40 amp 12v relay so the pressure switch activates the coil of the relay. As the coil uses very little current, using a relay will prolong the life of the microswitch in the Shurflo pump head.

5 X Car Truck Auto DC 12V 40A 40 AMP SPST Relay Relays 4 Pin 4P & Socket 4 Wire | eBay

You only need one of these but they are cheap and you will have some spares for future use.

Thanks for your reply. I am using a flow controller and I have it set to 1 o clock. But the pressure switch still burns out after around 1 hour.

I've got through loads of pressure switches over the past four weeks. The pressure switch which I am using does not say what ampage it is, and it does not say on the eBay description either. I think I could be possibly using a 6 amp switch. I will fit a 15 amp and see what happens. Thank you for your help!

Thanks for your reply. I am using a flow controller and I have it set to 1 o clock. But the pressure switch still burns out after around 1 hour.I've got through loads of pressure switches over the past four weeks. The pressure switch which I am using does not say what ampage it is, and it does not say on the eBay description either. I think I could be possibly using a 6 amp switch. I will fit a 15 amp and see what happens. Thank you for your help!
What flow controller are you using?

My suggestion is to get rid of this controller and buy either a Spring Controller or a Varistream. The manufacturers of Varistream (Williamson Pumps) tell us to 'remove' the pressure switch from the circuit and let the Varistream do that job.

Before Varistreams and Spring controllers were available we also suffered with burnt out pressure switches caused from cycling on and off. I bought one of the first models of Varistream nearly 10 years ago because I was so fed up with replacing those microswitches. In those days we bought the whole housing assembly for £22.50. I still have the pump on the van with a burnt out pressure switch from those days.

My suggestion is to get rid of this controller and buy either a Spring Controller or a Varistream. The manufacturers of Varistream (Williamson Pumps) tell us to 'remove' the pressure switch from the circuit and let the Varistream do that job.
Before Varistreams and Spring controllers were available we also suffered with burnt out pressure switches caused from cycling on and off. I bought one of the first models of Varistream nearly 10 years ago because I was so fed up with replacing those microswitches. In those days we bought the whole housing assembly for £22.50. I still have the pump on the van with a burnt out pressure switch from those days.

This is good advice. I still have my original varistream working perfectly, and its around 9 years old /emoticons/smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a 15amp UK made micro switch, which will be delivered on Friday, if it burns out then I will purchase a varistream. The thought of not having to worry about a micro switch at all sounds very good!

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a 15amp UK made micro switch, which will be delivered on Friday, if it burns out then I will purchase a varistream. The thought of not having to worry about a micro switch at all sounds very good!

The most probable reason is that your pump is cycling on and off. For example; this will happen if you are using 2 LPM at the brush jets but you have a 5LPM pump running at full speed.The pump will start and stop rather rapidly causing damage to the contact points off the switch.

It was the pressure switch all along.I've brought a 15amp one and it works fine. Thanks for your help

Back