Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Price increases is it wise?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I had a business meeting with my biggest client, September gone, discussing this years pricing. I said it was going to be very hard for me as I thought inflation would hit 10% this year and they couldn't up the prices by 10% as the residents would kick off.
The pair of them frowned and said they'd only ever seen 4.5% and they didn't think it would be that high so we agreed to just over 3%. The pricing is very very good so can stand a bad year.
I'm looking forward to this Septenbers meeting, they might listen to my input a little more this time.
Baby faced like me? I wasn't even born when inflation was at 24% in 1975 you'll have been in short trousers.

It's good if you are able to sit down with big contractors and reach an amicable price increase

An old woman called me today about window cleaning. The old guy retired and passed his run on to someone else. The woman said he did the area once and said he couldn't come back because he was too busy. She ask how much I charge to clean a semi and I told her between £10 and £12 then she said she had a conservatory. Made arrangements to visit the house and provide a real quote. 30mins later she called back and cancelled because I was too expensive. Now I realise why the new guy never came back, the old guy must have been charging a fiver. ?

I’ve learned to always put prices up to new customers this time of year if you’re going to do it.

I’d always take a new customer that signs up in November at a lower price than two that pitch up in the summer.

You can guess which one will stick around through the winter

Now there is a problem with inflation so interest rates have to go up and that should effect the market. What I expect they will do however is prop up the market with some other juggling act and kick the latest problem further down the road again.
You know that last paragraph that I wrote a couple of weeks ago... well this is how they're going to keep the bubble going, they've got no intention of correcting the market, they're just trying to work out how they can keep it going.

Best thing you can do is buy whatever you can afford, even if it's nowhere near where you live, just buy it to get on the market. That's what I'm going to do, it might take me a year or two but I'll buy a flat or terraced house in north Manchester for about £80k with the aim of doing it up and selling it and because I don't spend money like the average person does on new cars, holidays etc I'll be easily able to afford the rent on my place with a mortgage on top. I'm just covering my bases, worst case scenario is I'll have to live in North Manchester but at least I'll have a roof over my head.

Not much makes sense now so the best thing to do is invest in ones home. At least when you go to sell it, it should be worth more money. Hard to trust any of those funds or policies that say you will probably get more money back and then the thing goes bust or someone runs away with it like the crypto scam.

This critical subject seems to get avoided on here, is anyone worried about losing customers I know some who will be in denial, there used to be a poster on here called Onion Man he used to write essay's saying his business was booming during all the recessions and financial crashes.
The thing is there have to be increases, i fully expect some customers to drop as this crisis deepens, but if wages dont go up then it would get to a point where people would be better off on the dole, what with help with energy bills and not having to pay petrol etc. Tough times indeed coming up.

The thing is there have to be increases, i fully expect some customers to drop as this crisis deepens, but if wages dont go up then it would get to a point where people would be better off on the dole, what with help with energy bills and not having to pay petrol etc. Tough times indeed coming up.
Although softwash/pressure wash/gutter clearing is busier than ever for me even with higher prices
No idea why but taking advantage of it

Try getting one round our way for under £400k lol
Sorry on the Newcastle brown ale tonight so being a bit happy
A mate lives 2 miles away and sold his 1930's semi with a larger front garden and driveway for 230k but it is a higher priced area and he has renovated it all, yes we were lucky to get it at a good price compared to other houses that have sold locally and aren't as good also the semi's in our street houses don't often come up for sale we're only the third people to live in our house and the others are the same, also our house ain't had the guts ripped out of it lots of original features its a nice quiet street with no through road

Although softwash/pressure wash/gutter clearing is busier than ever for me even with higher prices
No idea why but taking advantage of it

I must confess, I was fearing the worst at the beginning of the year, I was expecting it to be really tough.
But so far it’s been a good year, I was full anyway, but I’ve picked up a couple of days already without trying. So if things turn bad I have a bit of leeway.

I think it’s hitting poorer people the hardest, and most of them don’t have a window cleaner anyway.

I must confess, I was fearing the worst at the beginning of the year, I was expecting it to be really tough.
But so far it’s been a good year, I was full anyway, but I’ve picked up a couple of days already without trying. So if things turn bad I have a bit of leeway.

I think it’s hitting poorer people the hardest, and most of them don’t have a window cleaner anyway.
The thing is even for those that were hit with the energy price increase in April or before if a fixed deal came to an end it was only a short term hit as people don't use their heating through the summer it will be the October rise will be when it really hits but some expect to sit with the heating on in shorts and t-shirt I can't understand these people whose energy bills are well in excess of £100 a month, I was chatting with a customer the other day who told me his direct debit is increasing to £250 a month only him and his wife in a well insulated house :rolleyes:

I agree the poorest will be hit the hardest, those that have good jobs and are financially secure it won't matter too much to them and they'll ride it out without much impact or lifestyle changes.

The thing is even for those that were hit with the energy price increase in April or before if a fixed deal came to an end it was only a short term hit as people don't use their heating through the summer it will be the October rise will be when it really hits but some expect to sit with the heating on in shorts and t-shirt I can't understand these people whose energy bills are well in excess of £100 a month, I was chatting with a customer the other day who told me his direct debit is increasing to £250 a month only him and his wife in a well insulated house :rolleyes:

I agree the poorest will be hit the hardest, those that have good jobs and are financially secure it won't matter too much to them and they'll ride it out without much impact or lifestyle changes.
This is exactly it at the minute the cost of living is being rammed home to us but in reality it hasn't even fully kicked in yet.My gas and electric is out of tariff and went up to £280 a month.

Like said most don't have heating on and working from home in some form will be coming to an end or people will be part expected to return so will notice the fuel cost more.

Most on here are mainly domestic and if you have a full round losing the odd £15 job here and there will have little impact.This will effect the low earners most and those just starting out and growth will be really slow for these.

I'm full commercial and have lost two jobs already one I'd had for over 10 years.I have been speaking to two friends who have much bigger commercial window cleaning companies and both have been knocked for payment over the last couple of months so things are already starting to bite.

Factor that in with the fact that the average PAYE worker won't see a pay rise anything near inflation meaning most people are going to feel a squeeze at some point all points to a rough end of year/next year.

Back