Price rise time

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Danfire, Apr 7, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

ive been putting it off for a while but the time has come for the rates to go up. It's been nearly two years since I inherited my round and apart from the initial price change as the old cleaner hadn't changed his prices for years this will be their first.
    I know some cleaners write to their customers explaining about the increase in their public liability insurance and how much they value their customer etc. My master plan is to not book so much in to give me time to do a 100% top notch job, time to canvass the neighbours and give it to them straight. Hope not to lose too many, I've only 60.

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

If you only have 60 then to be honest I would not bother myself and concentrate on building the round and getting better paid work in. Then when you are in a better position to pick and choose jobs increase the old ones you have to fall in line with your new pricing structure.

3. Danfire

Window cleaning is my part time job, I probably wouldn't be able to cope with too many more and quite a few of my 60 are large detached with conservatories. The prices have to go up, the cleaner I took over from said he didn't raise his prices ever and he had the round for over twenty years, in fact some of his customers told him they were going to give him a raise but most just happily kept on paying next to nothing. He did warn everyone that the new cleaner would be increasing the charges but I didn't think I'd get away with quadrupling them so I didn't start with the correct rates.
    I did some of my council estate today and stuck to my plan, I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any yet and I've picked up another neighbour and Ive still got to canvass the street yet. So far so good.

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Indeed over 20 years is a wee bit differnt as I'm sure a price increase is well overdue and customers reaslise that too :D

5. Posh

Posh Hero

20 years ago.

Christ must be about £2.50 a house.

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Those prices definitely need smurfing

7. Green Pro Clean Ltd

A young windie in the south of Notts came to me for advice on his prices as his fathers a friend.

He had bought a round a year or so back and was quite happy but thought it a little cheap per house.

He asked what he should charge per house, I said it depends on the house and area (his round is in a nice affluent area)

We resolved it by going for a drive and him pointing out his houses, '£16 for that one' i'd say, 'I'm only getting £6' he'd say and so on.

Every house 50% to 60% less than I would have quoted.

He then started to go to each client and tell them that they had had the price fixed for several years but everything goes up with time so he could no longer honor the old 1990s prices and would have to charge a 'fair' price going forward.

He lost a grand total of 1 miserable old git. That's is, most if you have a little chat with them don't mind as they themselves wouldn't do it for a bag of peanuts.

Nowt strange as folk!! Talk to them you will be pleasantly surprised at how many will be OK with it I reckon.

8. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i usually jack prices up this month each year . i want a new van and the price rise alone will be high enough to more than cover this

i dont have a set amount of increase ,its a quid here,5 quid here,20p there . i tried to distinguish who had paid and who hadnt by upping some prices by 25p one year-big mistake , very few noticed so i am now left with some prices at 10.75 or is he still paying 10.50 ,if not whose that paying me 10.50 etc

9. Danfire

Most of my customers are at home when I clean so I think my tactic of taking my time, doing a great job and then giving them the good news about the improved prices is a winner.

Advertisement