Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump suction advice please!!

Kennygggkent

Transparent Window Cleaning
Hey guys,

I'm trying to put off getting a tank for the minute, so my buddy told me about using four 25l tanks connected to a 4 way tap, but I wanted to know if there would be enough suction before I started to get the bits. I'm going to use my x-line trolley pump which is a 100 PSI Shurflo Pump, so I was wondering by the time it had run through this
bnqTemplate1

will there be enough suction?

Yeah all four stay in the van and all sucking at once, my buddy told me they should all go done roughly at the same speed.

oh the whole trolley will be left in the van, with about a 1.5 meter hose to the 4 way tap.
Has your mate tried it and does it work?

Lots of things work in theory but don't in practice. One reason why Dyson spent so much on R&D.

I'm sure with much messing on you will be able to balance the suction rate by adjusting the taps and then have to regularly do it over again. If one of the containers empties first then that's it as it as your pump will rather suck air than water.

I tried to synchronize the filling of 4 x 25 litre plastic containers in the old days when I processed water directly from my r/o. It took 25 minutes to fill each 25 liter container, so I thought I would work with a self made manifold, balance the flow and fill all 4 simultaneously.

I tried for weeks to get it to work, but gave it up in the end. I generally look at things from a negative view point, so if you can afford to throw 50 bucks at an experiment then why not. Most people spend much more on their hobbies.

When we first started I bought a trailer with 3 x 125 liter tanks fitted. They were joined together without a tap shutoff between each tank. Once the tanks got low sucking air became a real issue, especially if the trailer wasn't level either way. In the end I found that if I was on level ground I managed better by uncoupling the trailer and resting the towbar on the road. The tank outlets faced forwards. I can see the same issue replaying itself with you. Park your van with 2 wheels on the kerb will create issues if you set the taps up with the drums on a level.

Never tied that idea but the only way I suppose is to try it and see if it works and let us know :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good idea, but as @spruce said it could trial and error. When I used 25L barrels I thought it would be a good idea to try and fill 2 at a time rather than just the one. I bought a hozelock splitter but the water didn't come through evenly, in fact it only came out of 1 nozzle. Possibly because the flow was not fast enough and I used to trickle the water through.

My first baffle tank from fleebay was about 60 squid. I since then bought another bargain for 25 squid so you don't have to buy new. Plenty of bargains to be had on fleebay if you just bide your time /emoticons/smile.png

I have the idea of feeding one barrel into my trolley by putting it on the rear seat and suck starting the flow and putting the barrel pipe into the trolley in the footwell and that would then double my water...as the trolley emptied the barrel would fill it but....I DONT think I will be brave enough to try it...maybe...one day..

but then again if the car is going to cost too much come the mot...it maybe van time...I will leave it to the mot inspector.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Sounds like a good idea, but as @spruce said it could trial and error. When I used 25L barrels I thought it would be a good idea to try and fill 2 at a time rather than just the one. I bought a hozelock splitter but the water didn't come through evenly, in fact it only came out of 1 nozzle. Possibly because the flow was not fast enough and I used to trickle the water through.
/emoticons/biggrin.png That's what happened to me. Once water finds a path the rest follows. It like a siphon, once to starts it becomes like a chain and drags the rest along.

VW used the same principle on the sdi diesel engines before they were 'forced' into turbo only variants because of emissions. They got a weak turbo intake boost by increasing the air intake speed. Apparently air is the same, it also creates a 'link' and drags more in.

Back