Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water systems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I also think it would be very dangerous to the person if you were stupid enough to boil water and use for wfp....I am pretty sure hot water systems are no hotter than trad water which have been cleaning windows for many years.....
The temp can be adjusted but they can get pretty hot when turned up.

When it's cold and the pipes are frozen the temptation is to turn it up.

You may know this is a bad idea but do your lads?

I use cold water to trad in winter anyway as it doesn't freeze as quick as warm.

Glass is alot tougher (thermal shock wise) than people think it is...

That is why most steam cleaners domestic & industrial have attachments for cleaning glass as well.

[media]

[/media]

The temp can be adjusted but they can get pretty hot when turned up.
When it's cold and the pipes are frozen the temptation is to turn it up.

You may know this is a bad idea but do your lads?

I use cold water to trad in winter anyway as it doesn't freeze as quick as warm.
Never had frozen pipes before so would not know. Im lucky enough to have a garage to store my van in...I also work on my own so don't need to worry about anyone turning the thermostat up. But I do think its common sence not to put to hot of water on cold glass. In the past when I have worked with cold water on cold glass like conservatories the water freezes on the glass. Be interesting to see if hot does.

I've not broken a pane of glass yet using hot/warm water when it's cold outside. Mind you I have enough sense not to go out window cleaning in sub zero temps.

i wrk in any temp sub 0 or baking hot if its freezing an my cold water system is froze like it did this year on a few days totel of 6 days i think i just trad first thing till it warms up and use the back pack for the aquad top over connys ect , i use car screen wash pore neet on the mop wrks very well indeed dont want water every were so custmer will slip so u need to make a jugment on wat u do on your round , i defo wont b sat at home like a vagina tho /emoticons/biggrin.png

when u have a gd 650 system how much wud it cost for a 22 man set up to go hot ??
BLOODY HELL! 22 man set up? What type of crew crew cab are you driving? Ex HM forces APC?

Have you ever seen someone with a steaming kettle to de-ice the windscreen of a car in winter?I always chuckle at what comes next.

CCRRRAAACCCKKK!!!

Hot water on cold glass is asking for trouble in my opinion.
Having spent considerable time picking holes in hot systems on the phone with one of this countries leading manufactures top bods he himself said their system heats the water to about 48 degrees, I asked about thermal shock and he said whilst possible he had never heard of a case with his systems.

He then went on to say that whilst his system heats the water to 48 degrees by the time it has gone through 100 meters of hose reel it is coming out at closer to 30 degrees on a good summers day and closer to 20 degrees on a typical winters day (regardless of hose used)

You are not tipping the contents of a kettle on you custies window, and if you need to heat your system to anything more than 40 degrees then i'd love to know why (Because I can blah blah blah is not an answer)

My personal opinion (I dont have a hot system except for my cool box) is you aren't going to break a window through thermal shock.

He then went on to say that whilst his system heats the water to 48 degrees by the time it has gone through 100 meters of hose reel it is coming out at closer to 30 degrees on a good summers day and closer to 20 degrees on a typical winters day (regardless of hose used)
Thanks for the info green.

When I build up to where I need a WFP system I may now consider a heated system.

The risk of thermal shock always put me off.

i wrk in any temp sub 0 or baking hot if its freezing an my cold water system is froze like it did this year on a few days totel of 6 days i think i just trad first thing till it warms up:D
Add about a cup of isopropyl alcohol to a 600l tank to stop it freezing in winter. It doesn't affect ppm so your water is still pure as the alcohol evaporates.

That is why most steam cleaners domestic & industrial have attachments for cleaning glass as well.

[media]

[/media]

That is why most steam cleaners d

omestic & industrial have attachments for cleaning glass as well.

[media]

[/media]

That is why most steam cleaners domestic & industrial have attachments
I've not broken a pane of glass yet using hot/warm water when it's cold outside. Mind you I have enough sense not to go out window cleaning in sub zero temps.

[media]

[/media]

[media]

[/media]

@Smurf - Utterly agree. Keep heated temperature reasonable for glass and outside temp.
Can also check out @SqueakyCleanDave for hot water on windows.

here we are nine years on from that post and i am glad to say that opinions and equipment have moved on since then i am sorry to say that back then the gas heater was my go to as, other options were beyond my income but i have learned over time that a diesel heater is not that much more considering the use you can get from it.
please anyone get away from the gas and go diesel it is a cheap way to go and it can be done diy.
as for the vid for daves vid on you tube-i've seen it and to be honest as someone who has has spent over 25 years in the glass trade, mostly on double glazing fitting it and setting up assembly lines to make the units themselves, dave doesn't have a clue-he really doesn't, but hey people still keep watching and subscribing, my only hope is that none of you follow what he does.

Smurf had some good ideas in his day but he was all ways in a heated debate with someone he apparently is on the fb pages now days causing lots of trouble so I’ve been told

One thing i saw on Dave’s vids was him poring boiling hot water on a double glazed glass pain but it proved nuffing as it wasn’t in a frame that can add pressure on the glass I’m convinced that’s what causes cracks frame twisting a bit then bang goes glass

here we are nine years on from that post and i am glad to say that opinions and equipment have moved on since then i am sorry to say that back then the gas heater was my go to as, other options were beyond my income but i have learned over time that a diesel heater is not that much more considering the use you can get from it.
please anyone get away from the gas and go diesel it is a cheap way to go and it can be done diy.
as for the vid for daves vid on you tube-i've seen it and to be honest as someone who has has spent over 25 years in the glass trade, mostly on double glazing fitting it and setting up assembly lines to make the units themselves, dave doesn't have a clue-he really doesn't, but hey people still keep watching and subscribing, my only hope is that none of you follow what he does.
I must disagree on the Gas VS Dieselheater.
Ive run gas about 9 yrs now, and its about 20 pounds every 3 weeks( in my area) and dirt cheap setup. On the other hand you got an expensive Dieselheater , around 25-3000 pounds( even without install) and then according to my calculations it would cost me around 3-4 pounds a day to run. In my research ive found that Theres 2 kind of heaters , 5kw and 9, and the 5 one isnt sufficient for a decent flow to heat enough, so then its the 9 kw, meant for 2 operators, but in reality only suits 1 if you wanna get around 40-45 degrees at the brush . There are threads on this issue in this forum. I know its a risk running gas, but i check my gaslines monthly for leaks with soapy water, all fine and no issues. I have cracked 2 panes due to too hot water , it can def occur no doubt about it.

Ive run gas about 9 yrs now, and its about 20 pounds every 3 weeks( in my area) and dirt cheap setup. On the other hand you got an expensive Dieselheater , around 25-3000 pounds( even without install) and then according to my calculations it would cost me around 3-4 pounds a day to run. In my research ive found that Theres 2 kind of heaters , 5kw and 9, and the 5 one isnt sufficient for a decent flow to heat enough, so then its the 9 kw, meant for 2 operators, but in reality only suits 1 if you wanna get around 40-45 degrees at the brush . There are threads on this issue in this forum. I know its a risk running gas, but i check my gaslines monthly for leaks with soapy water, all fine and no issues. I have cracked 2 panes due to too hot water , it can def occur no doubt about it.
9 kw two man set up will easily supply both with water way above 40-50 degrees, the issues with gas are the build quality of the cheap gas boilers they aren’t designed for the way we use them there have been many explosions and fires using there heaters in the uk , it’s virtually impossible to get insurance cover for them if you employ staff ,the cylinder must be turned off between jobs as well , it’s a non starter really, I have had friends who have had them in the past but have changed to diesel ones , they aren’t cheap to run , but if it cost £5-10 per day for hot water that’s very cheap when you look at earnings .

i must admit dave, that the gas set up is cheap to buy and used to be cheap to run, here in the uk gas is expensive compared to what it was a few years ago.
i have absolutely no wish for this to be a which is better gas or diesel debate because they each have their own pluses and minuses.
my heater is a streamline 5kw, bought second hand for £375 as a non runner, it just needed the wiring sorting out for it to work,
although its a 5kw heater i can achieve close to what the 9kw guys are getting at the brush head, admittedly i have made tweaks to get that increase in heat.
i have in the past used these heaters to heat the water in the tank via the re-circulation method that can be done for maybe £200.
i'm glad that you check all the hoses etc, many won't and if they self install it might not be the best or professional job

Rather you than me.....diesel is far safer and just better overall.....

I used gas heaters for a few years until I had a gas leak and explosion!**** the life out of me!straight to the tip the next day!

Back