Professional enterprise or lone ranger?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by MrBump, Sep 10, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. MrBump

MrBump Guest

#1 MrBump, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
    I have gone for the professional company image, but recently I am questioning it due to lack of enquiries, not sure whether it is my advertising choices or whether I should be going for the more local, one man bad type image? Maybe a local one man band gives off the impression of being cheaper and thats more desirable than a professional windie I don't know.

What do you think is the best path, professional company or one man band?

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

For me, going 'pro' bought in lots of work, and defo made the public more trusting round here,

I think the issue is getting your website top of Google bump, once that's been achieved the enquiries will fly in,

Also depends on competion in the area, you may have a lot more competition than some other people on here...?

3. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

#3 adamangler, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Just going by my area, i think a lone ranger who doesnt necassarily portray a professional images, signed van, uniform etc seems to be quite well respected.

I think theres an element of loyalty around here, most custies know there windy by name and hes been doing them years, they also tend to be known in the area.

It may be different in more affluent modern city type area who are more used to the professional approach, round here people ten to know each other a lot more and every man and his dog know geoff the 60year old windy who charges a fiver.

Commercial is a different ball game, me i prefer the pro approach tbh.

Another thing i have noticed is on facebook i tend to get more enquiries with a simple ad than when i put images/web link/we are insured, uniformed etc. I think the simple ad gives the impression you are cheaper and people do like cheap.

Ive been seriously considering lowering my prices just to get my round built and the work in lately just to compete with these guys round here, i seem to be struggling with the professional and more expensive approach,

Its a difficult decision to make really, do you price higher and get less work or price lower and get plenty, its the same with carpet cleaning ive had plenty of enquires when pricing lower and fewer when pricing higher (obviously) but its hard to be bothe the guy who would appeal to mrs jones with a persian rug and mrs scutterbag at number 11 hellhole with a rotten old carpet covered in dog poo.

I think ultimately it depend how you see your self, my stereotypical view of loneranger is a trad guy with low overheads, collect cash in the evening,usually in a car charging a fiver who is well known and rushed off his feet with loads of job. A steroetypical view of mr pro is a wfp guy with a brand new sign written van, all the gear, online payments only, unifomred, insured and not as friendly in his approach a bit more clinical an business like, turns up cleans and moves on, no cups of tea or chatting.

Maybe somewhere between the two is a compromise?

why do i always type so much..

Jake who did you use for your website? i always see you raving about yours.

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I don't have a website as my boy needs to pull his finger out making it but i haven't needed one
    I am whatever the customer needs me to be
    Leafletting roads and talking to customers i am the local friendly guy (not cheap though)
    Commercial work i am very professional cleaning company albeit without a van at the mo but i park where the car can't be seen and quote
    Then it doesn’t make a difference until i get my van
    Been looking this week and should have one in the next few weeks

5. Jake

Jake Grand Master

#5 Jake, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    My work just exploded when the website was done, and the van etc, so naturally I'll now swear by them as two very important marketing tools,

I was a bloke with a car and rags for 8 years, and to be honest got fed up of it, when I changed my image, work just went mad, adding simple things like a uniform, a sign written van and good quality flyers/business cards really helped me get out of the rut I was in, people round here always choose the pro look, so I had to go down that route, otherwise I was actually thinking of jacking in the window cleaning...

Perhaps that's because of my area, I don't know, but I do know the 4 most used and popular window cleaning companies in Colchester all have the professional look, so it just works round here...

And on the whole, most of the successful businesses in this world are the professional well branded ones, which is why companies pay out 100's of thousands on marketing and Branding, it is pretty essential for rapid growth,

That's not to say you can't be a successful window cleaner without it, because many are, but you won't grow as fast as the people who have the pro approach... That's just how it is...

adamangler i used a local web design company mate

All us window cleaners are equal in my book, it's just a case of marketing and that's how you get more work, it doesn't make you better than a car and rags type windy (I was one for ages) it just makes you visible to your local town/cit...

No ones better than anyone else, it's just a fact of business, marketing is essential...

The biggest company in my area is the company that heavily markets - no suprise... They now employ 15 people, and have ventured into all sorts of cleaning, all down to the marketing, they were the first to do it on my area, it won them 'small business of the year'

Speaks for itself...

6. TolishAPurd

Exactly. Act however you need to act to get the job.

7. Jake

Jake Grand Master

We all do that Tolish, but this is really about getting enquiries,

It's getting the work that Mr bump was asking about, and that is best done with marketing...

But we're all everyone's best friend when quoting, always into whatever there into, if they like dogs, you like dogs, if they like cycling, you like cycling, the usual!

But that doesn't help you get the work initially...

8. Pickingpaul

Pickingpaul Forum Addict

Never had a website, i dont know if i could handle a huge increase of work, but if i had a van and someone working for me then i could take more on

9. Jake

Jake Grand Master

I can't take more on, but I just drop the cheap ones now..

10. MrBump

MrBump Guest

All great info here, very much appreciated, will read through again properly later.

Tolish, you can't change your image to suit unless you run two businesses. I mean should you be called 'joe blogss window cleaning' or 'the window cleaning company ltd', should you wear some jeans, have a car and use a bucket and ladder or should you have a new signwrittenvan with uniform. Should your flyers be handwritten or professionally made. Should you make yourself sound small and say 'I' or big and say 'we'. And so on..

Advertisement