Pump controller

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by window washer, May 28, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. I have a Streamline ditigal controller - Quite often I will be at the back of a house when someone wants to chat. Now I know I can put on a trigger or tap but I would think that to stop the flow of water too often whilst the pump is on will not do it much good so the better option would be to turn the pump off.
    With this in mind does anyone know if it is possible to somehow attach a remote on/ off switch so I can turn off the pump remotely?

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

It is possible the person that had my system before me fitted a remote almost like a car alarm remote and i can stop it and start it although it is not always reliable when you have a bloody great house between you and the van so the signal dose not always get received.

3. Thanks, it must just turn the power on and off I guess.
    Anyone any ideas please?

4. nearlyclean

Supplier

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-Remote-control-On-off-2-Channel-momentary-relay-/320695350057?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D320669510383%252B320669510383%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D277433786777750629#ht_941wt_1130
    some thing like this could work
    I just have a control tap and the pump will switch off when it reaches the pressure

5. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

If the streamline controller still uses the pressure switch, then it won't matter how many times you turn it on and off as it is doing exactly the same thing a remote control would do - interrupting the power supply.

If it is a sureflo pump, then I burned out a switch after about 2 1/2 years constant use. Popped down to maplins, bought a switch for £1.80 - popped it in - still going strong.

IMO can't beat an aqua-dapter

6. Am I understanding this correctly? If I put a tap/ valve on and close it then the pump will automatically switch off stopping pressure from backing up and negating the need for a remote on/ off switch?
    I ask this because I have never managed to get his far as whenever I have used a shut off tap at the end of the hose the hose has blown off at the hoselcok fitting at the rear of my van so I assumed this would always happen (I assumed the pump would just continue until something popped) but from what you are telling me the pump should shut down.
    Correct?

7. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

That's right - provided it has a pressure switch fitted.

You can tell if it has a pressure switch by looking at the pump. If it does, there will normally be one wire (usually black) that goes straight into the pump, and a second wire that goes to a spade connector at the opposite end of the pump, with a third wire that goes from a second spade connector to where the other wire goes in.

If it does have a pressure switch, this can also be adjusted to cut out without too much pressure in the system.
    To do this - on the pressure switch (where the 2 wires with spade connectors are) there will be a bolt that takes a small allen (hex) key. Connect your longest hose, and your longest pole fully extended vertically, and start the pump running. Wind this allen key out until the pump stops. Then wind it in about 1/4 of a turn - the pump should be running again - if not wind it in another 1/4 turn.....

Many people think that it is essential to have massive pressure rating on the pump, but it isnt - very often pumps are set to 100psi, but this is only the cut off pressure - and does not affect the efficiency or the flow of water in normal use. I have used a pump with the pressure switch set to 40 psi with no problems at all.

The advantage of setting the pressure switch lower is that it reduces the strain on ALL the joints, and also the strain on the pump.

Dave

8. Thank you.
    Yes I do have a pressure switch so will be setting mine this morning - Thank you this is a really excellent and useful post which will no doubt save me money in the long run.

9. I did as you said this morning Dave and ended up winding the small bolt all the way out and yet still my pump managed to get water through 100m of hose and a 37ft pole! I then wound it in a little and gave it a try and it worked, now it cuts out perfectly so I do not have to worry about burst fixings whilst I am talking to some OAP in the garden.
    Thanks Dave.;):;):D:D:):D:)

10. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

superb.
    Will also save wear on the pump, and give a small amount of battery life improvement.

dave

Advertisement