Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Crittal windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mwwindowcleaning

Well they have to be the hardest window to clean, they seem to have a glazing compound/putty that stays soft which leaves an oily smear with a cloth or a squeegee. I also used the water fed pole, although it didn't smear, it left black tiny rubber oily dots. bit like when someone has a bbq near a window only really tiny dots. anyone have any experience with these type of windows, is there a chemical I can maybe clean with to stop this Puttey smearing?

The Crittal windows I remember were metal framed windows and the glass was held in by a putty that went hard and was painted over. The paint eventually cracked and would shred your cloths and rip you fingers to bits if they came anywhere near them. Sounds like those windows may have been recently refitted. Don't know how you'd clean them with wfp till the putty set.

The Crittal windows I remember were metal framed windows and the glass was held in by a putty that went hard and was painted over. The paint eventually cracked and would shred your cloths and rip you fingers to bits if they came anywhere near them. Sounds like those windows may have been recently refitted. Don't know how you'd clean them with wfp till the putty set.
Yeah you are right but the new double glazed ones have a softer putty. something to do with allowing the glass to move. but it's impossible to clean without smearing or leaving oily deposits

Cleaning using wfp leaves the better finish but still not spotless. I don't leaving a job unless its done properly, but it seems impossible not to leave any marks. house is a ridiculous size and dread to think how much was spent having them put in, somewhere in the £100,000s I'd say

Sounds like one of those jobs I'd hate doing. Had quite a few of them when tradding, less now I'm wfp. Fortunately I have very few that can't be done with wfp, and those that can't are easy ones to do trad thankfully.

yeah im just gonna pole it as it leaves the best finish in this instance. God knows how I'm gonna clean the insides as she definitely wants them doing.

Worst one I can remember was a big 5 bed detached job I used to clean about 20 years back. Did it for about 10 years if memory serves. It was all leaded glass and it seemed they had a BBQ every weekend under every window. Almost every window on the house was covered in those little grease spots. And had to be cleaned by hand. In three places I had to climb on parts of the house to get to certain windows. It was a lovely house and the customer was great, but what a job. I hated it. I don't think I'd even enjoy doing it with wfp as you would have to use chems every time I recon. Though I don't suppose I'd mind if the price was right.

Back