Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Telescopic ladders

WCF

Help Support WCF:

20200719_103109.jpgWe use our short extending ladder far more than we use the tele. It's quicker and lighter. It's a Werner Abru bought from b&q 6 years ago. 1.9m closed, 9ft fully extended. We use a step up sometimes to gain a little height when cleaning conny roofs, and we use it on its end to reach gate bolts.

The extending ladder is simply slid into a lipped pvc shelf (impervious to water). The shelf is an offcut of plastic fascia. This is mounted on adjustable shelving from Travis Perkins and the poles are in tubes underneath.

I'm not sure but I think my tele ladder might be a heavier duty than the one from screwfix as it says plus on the label and I could see no mention of soft closure on the screwfix add. Tele ladders are definitely slower to work with than simple extending ladders and they can get a bit stiff with time.

I know of course that not everyone has room for a 1.9 ladder storage within the van, and not everyone has a drive. That does make life a lot more difficult.

Although we live in a nice neighbourhood, I work with the knowledge that bad people travel. With that in mind, our three vehicles are parked on our own driveway and are covered by 4 security sensors. 2 activating floodlights and 2 activating a discrete alarm within the house which cannot be heard outside unless the front door is open. I fitted both systems myself at a modest total cost of less than a £150. The audible alarm system was less than £50.

If I had to park overnight on a public road or car park, I'd secure the ladder on the van roof with a quality motorcycle cable lock on one bar and a heavy duty galvanised chain and a strong padlock on the other. Two different methods needed to cut, unless they were using a cordless disc cutter. Would they make all that noise for such a low value item? I'd hope not.

20200719_110011.jpg

20200719_105930.jpg

20200719_103330.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What your name Frankie Dettori ?
Haha! The penny only just dropped on that one. Only took about 16 hours. ☺️

Yes, I am a lightweight in all fairness. ?Just shy of 70 kilos. My son is probably about 80~85 kg. They don't flex with his weight either.

I can't speak for some of the bonny firefighter and rugby player types we share the trade and the forum with. They might make our type of tele ladder flex?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back