Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Preparations Our You Doing For Winter

nearlyclean

Some that have just started window cleaning and haven't done a winter yet its not as bad as it sounds, Some that have been cleaning windows for years could shed some of their experience and tips. And I know I need some reminders as I am always getting caught out with a frozen transfer hose around January.

http://blog.roundpartner.co.uk/2012/10/window-cleaning-in-the-winter-months/

What the best gloves you use, tips on keeping warm and just keeping the motivation up during the dark early mornings.

Regarding frost prevention just bring in all your venerable kit indoors at night. Simples....

Regarding frost prevention just bring in all your venerable kit indoors at night. Simples....
Sometimes it not as simple as that if you have a van mount. But things like pump and battery can be covered with insulation and pipe lagging. Some have used heaters in the back of their vans to stop the temperature follow below 0

It is if you use a pf trolley static in the van then are easy to remove at night. You can easly add quick connects to pumps, ro's etc so can be removed and brought indoors too /emoticons/wink.png

I've known a few lads over the years that have had wfp gear damaged like pumps, ro's, filter housings, gas water heaters etc by frost damage due to leaving it in vans over night by forgetting to switch on heaters and/or not insulating their system properly.

I don't do many preparations for it per say. Things are just done a little differently in the winter. There are various hazards that you have to watch out for during the winter with freezing conditions that we are not accustomed to over the summer. Good clothing goes along way, and as you say a good pair of gloves.

I used to buy seal skinned gloves which were about £40 a pair, and good gloves, but they wear fairly quickly like everything else really, considering the job we do. But I have found that these gloves offer the better protection and will only cost you £5 a pair.

As for motivation, we'll keep track of how much money you're making and you'll have all the motivation you need there. One thing I would say especially if you are just starting out. Don't stop looking for work, just because its winter. Use the early finishes due to early sunsets, as an opportunity to drop some flyers or business cards.

Well this is my first winter with a wfp system so any advice is appreciated!

For the traders.. Well, long johns, long sleeve thermal vests, lots of layers.. Gloves aren't great for trad cleaning, maybe magic gloves with thick latex gloves over them, but last year I got wee hand warmers you heat up in micro and keep in your pocket.. They are ok, but won't keep your hands warm all day..

my first winter... i think backpacks are ideal for winter what do you reckon ? no trailing hoses or anything /emoticons/smile.png

If the ground temp is below -1 c even your wfp hose left on the ground while working will start to freeze up using a backpack too.

my first winter... i think backpacks are ideal for winter what do you reckon ? no trailing hoses or anything /emoticons/smile.png

Latest Posts

Back