Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Smashhhh... £300. :(

Good your doing the ohnest thing, im a strong believer in karma ! Good things come to good people
Come into the real world....good things happen to good and bad people...nothing to do with that 'karma' and 'honesty'.

Sad fact is when money is concerned due to so say claims some ppl can be deceptively dishonest.

That's one of the reasons why insurance companies have loss adjusters so to weed out false claims.

Hey folks, well, here's the update - Basically yes, we're insured through gleaming so there's a £250 excess, so with that and the likelyhood of the insurance going up if we claim on it, prolly not worth it. The job in question is tied up with 3 or 4 other jobs and so over the course of the year we'd make back the money even if we had to pay 300 for the bowl, the property I smashed it on makes us £480 a year so not worth losing it ---

BUT...

There might be a karmic happy ending, I told the guy we werent going to claim on insurance and i'd pay it out of my own pocket and he says he doesnt want us to have to pay for it out of our own pockets so he's going to talk to his house insurance people and see what they say, so we might well get away with not having to pay for it.

Yeah I could have said "not my fault mate" but then i'd prolly have lost the client and he was really thankful to us for being honest so.. I think I did the right thing really. I'm just an honest sort of person, I couldnt have legged it in good conscience.

Here ya go

super-glue_zpsbe4625b0.jpg
Tuffers that really made me laugh, nice one fella /emoticons/smile.png

I think you did the right thing, although i do think that they are mad leaving a bowl no matter how expensive on a window sill that could get knocked off.

So that is not your fault, but understand how you would rather pay.

I think they should claim on their insurance, at worst you could pay the excess for them (probably no more than £50) Thats what i would be offering!

Good luck!

Hey folks, well, here's the update - Basically yes, we're insured through gleaming so there's a £250 excess, so with that and the likelyhood of the insurance going up if we claim on it, prolly not worth it. The job in question is tied up with 3 or 4 other jobs and so over the course of the year we'd make back the money even if we had to pay 300 for the bowl, the property I smashed it on makes us £480 a year so not worth losing it ---
BUT...

There might be a karmic happy ending, I told the guy we werent going to claim on insurance and i'd pay it out of my own pocket and he says he doesnt want us to have to pay for it out of our own pockets so he's going to talk to his house insurance people and see what they say, so we might well get away with not having to pay for it.

Yeah I could have said "not my fault mate" but then i'd prolly have lost the client and he was really thankful to us for being honest so.. I think I did the right thing really. I'm just an honest sort of person, I couldnt have legged it in good conscience.
Good things come to good people, this is a perfect example. Good un kips

So if and only if one of us lot were out doing trad or wfp and broke/damaged something what would you say to the customer?

Top result kip bet youl sleep better tonight lol

they put an antique bowl where it could be knocked off by opening the window!! they should take full responsability for it Ithink...... a bit of a crapper there bud

I would ask for the bowl to get the value of it and to see if you can get it replaced.

But thats why we pay insurance.

Maybe you should of check insurance access before taking policy out.

I defo wouldn't have a 250 access.

My access is less then 100.

Customer should take full responsibility for the breakage. Simples... :Image16:

BUT...

If you'd kept quiet, you probably would have got away with it. To claim, the owner would have had to prove that you caused the damage, so unless there were witnesses - or you left a massive puddle of water among the shattered remains of said pottery, unlikely that your insurers would have accepted liabilty. You could have cleaned the window, and it opened back breaking the thing after you left.

But, would that have been the RIGHT thing to do?!

Problem is, people talk - especially if small community - and if you had left it, and word got out you may have lost work as a result.

Back